[McIDAS #KNX-638299]: Re: 20080118: Unidata McIDAS workshop lecture notes (cont.)

Hi Tyn,

re:
> attached the source of a new exercise i created, which can also be
> viewed at http://x6.itc.nl/ngic/mcidas/0/data_import_image.html
>
> It covers "Importing Foreign IMAGE Datasets Into McIDAS". Since it
> involves some 'hacks' (i.e. modifying the SATANOT and SATBAND files) i
> hope you can have a critical look at it.

The exercise looks good.  Here are some small modifications that should
help:

1) IMGDEL deletes elements out of a dataset, the syntax is:

   IMGDEL group/descriptor.position

   You currently have:

   IMGDEL position

   When this does not work, it will likely confuse the students.

   There is another way to delete the file AREA4000: use LWU DEL:

   DMAP AREA4000

   If it exists, delete it:

   LWU DEL AREA4000

2) Next, there are a couple of small typos to fix:

   change:

   easen your file management

   to:

   ease your file management

   change:

   But for this exercise a common location like the one use in

   to:

   But for this exercise a common location like the one used in

3) The section that tells the student to check to see if there is a dataset
defined that contains AREA4000
   should include the user of the DSSERVE command.  Here is how I would modify
the section:

   change:

First, let's check to see that we have defined a dataset that includes the file
AREA4000: As per our previous
steps, the dataset of interest for this exercise is EWBMS. Let's take a closer
look:

      Type: DSINFO IMAGE EWBMS

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: EWBMS

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
CMI           1000    Climatic Moisture Index (105E)

DSINFO -- done

  to:

First, let's check to see that we have defined a dataset that includes the file
AREA4000: As per our previous
steps, the dataset of interest for this exercise is EWBMS. Let's take a closer
look:

      Type: DSSERVE LIST EWBMS

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
EWBMS/CMI                IMAGE AREA 4000-4999        Climatic Moisture Index (10
                                                     5E)
DSSERVE: done

The file we created, AREA4000, will occupy the 1st position in the EWBMS/CMI
dataset. We can, therefore, refer
to it directly as EWBMS/CMI.1. We use this identifier in a number of commands
to list out information from/about
the data.

4) I think you meant to say dimensionless in:

Note that the image was plotted in dimeless units, as CMI is a relative
parameter.

5) Next, another minor editorial change:

   change:

The Unidata documentation shows which values can be changed with the IMGCHA
command.

   to:

The McIDAS documentation shows which values can be changed with the IMGCHA
command.

6) you refer to the file ~/data/SATANOT.  You are missing one 'N' from the name:

   ~/data/SATANNOT

7) I recommend making a backup copy of SATBAND before editing it:

      Type: cp ~/data/SATBAND ~/data/SATBAND.orig
      Type: gedit ~/data/SATBAND

8) you do not have to restart a McIDAS session after making a change to
SATBAND, so I recommend
   you remove the advice:

Now close your text-editor gedit and restart your McIDAS-session so the
modified SATBAND file is re-read from disk.

As you can see, the changes I am suggesting are very minor.  Nice job!

Ticket ID: KNX-638299