[IDD #TTR-495389]: Slow access to local datasets through ADDE

Hi Samuel,

re:
> O.K. How should I start looking into how I can divide the datasets?  Is there
> a tutorial
> on this kind of thing?

No, there is no tutorial on organizing datasets to improve ADDE access mainly
since the
guiding principle is straightforward: the speed of access to datasets of
TYPE=IMAGE
is directly proportional to the number of images in the dataset.

The typical Unidata site running McIDAS keeps about one day or less of any type
of
image online.  For the Visible images in the IDD NIMAGE datastream, this would
mean
keeping having 96 images in the Vis datasets GINIEAST/GE1KVIS and/or
GINIWEST/GW1KVIS.
Sites wanting to keep more than this have typically done so by FILEing the
images into
a directory hierarchy where each day's images are in a single directory.  This
is the
reason I added the "replaceable" \CURDAY to the expressions that can be used in
the
DSSERVE DIRFILE= keyword.  \CURDAY gets expanded to the current date expressed
as CCYYMMDD
where:

CC -> century
YY -> year
MM -> month
DD -> day

Examples:

20080205
20071231
etc.

So, my recommendation is to create/modify your LDM pqact.conf action(s) to FILE
or decode the
images into a directory structure where images are organized at some level by
their
date.  It is also convenient to organize by image type: VIS, IR, WV, etc.

The absolute worst thing to do as far as performance is concerned is to
FILE/decode
all images into a single output directory.  This is bad for ADDE access to the
data
AND for operating system management of the data.

> P.S. I've noticed something interesting about our GINIEAST/GINI 1km VIS East
> CONUS data.  The
> most recent images are sometimes 1 hour behind, and sometimes 15 minutes
> behind.  Is this due
> to shu.cup.edu being close to memory overload?

Since the real time stats shu.cup.edu is reporting for NIMAGE images is very
low:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?NIMAGE+shu.cup.edu

it is likely that it is taking a long time to process data out of your LDM
queue.  The
solution for situations like this is to divide LDM pqact processing into several
pqact invocations.  If the LDM setup on shu is more-or-less the same as it was
when I help setup McIDAS, you shouldn't be experiencing slow processing of
received
products out of the LDM queue.  A system being bogged down due to I/O waits,
etc.
could cause slow processing of newly received products out of the LDM queue.  I
have
seen installations have this kind of problem when a LOT of files are being
continually
written to disk AND lots of scouring of older data is occuring.  Given your
various notes
about trying to keep lots of data online, I suspect that your system I/O is the
cause of the slow processing of newly received products.

> Oh, I've also noticed that occasionally we're missing  GINI East VIS 1km
> image (e.g. add.ucar.edu
> has 2008-02-05 19:32:24Z, but shu.cup.edu does not).  Again, might this be
> due to memory overload?

If you are routinely seeing gaps in image filing, it is possible that you are
ingesting
data at a much faster rate than you are able to process.  In this case,
products that have
been received might get overwritten while in the LDM queue before a pqact
action can
do something (e.g., FILE it) to it.  In this case your options are to tune the
processing
of data out of your LDM (by splitting pqact tasks among multiple pqact
invocations); increase
your LDM queue size (this option is limited by the amount of physical RAM you
have and
machine's architecture (32-bit vs 64-bit)); or to request less data from
upstream sites.
The option you choose will depend on what your objectives are.

I see that you are receiving 1.3 GB of data per hour on average with maximums
of up
to 3.5 GB per hour:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/rtstats_summary_volume?shu.cup.edu

I seem to remember that you have 1.5 GB of RAM on shu (true?), and you have an
LDM
queue that is 1 or 1.5 GB in size (if not, what size is your LDM queue
currently?).
The periods when you are receiving data at a rate of 3.5 GB/hour will result in
a queue residency time of between 17 and 25 minutes.  If your system is bogged
down
by I/O waits, it would seem likely that you would not be able to process
products already
received before they get overwritten by newly received products.

Ticket ID: TTR-495389
Department: Support McIDAS