[McIDAS #GKF-870665]: mcidas2007 and 64 bit linux

Hi Sarah,

re:
> I am trying to build Mcidas2007 on a RHEL4 64bit box.  I have followed
> the directions (I believe), am sourcing the  $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh
> but am getting the following error

Are you sourcing $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh directly, or did you put the
appropriate block in your $HOME/.cshrc file?

I have build Unidata McIDAS-X v2007x on several 64-bit systems with no
problems:

- SunOS SPARC 5.9
- SunOS x86 10
- Fedora Core 5
- Fedora 8

I am surprised that id did not build out of the box on RedHat4.

> usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so when searching for
> > > -lX11
> > > /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a when searching
> > > for
> > > -lX11
> > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > make[1]: *** [libtk8.4.so] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2007/tk/unix'
> > > make    /usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2007/tk/unix:   FAILED

I have never had problems building the Tcl/Tk portion of the distribution on
64-bit platforms.  Because of this, it strikes me that your development
environment
is not quite correct.

> I figured it was because the box is 64bit and it should be looking in
> /usr/X11R6/lib64
> so I changed the paths of  LD_SEARCH_FLAGS and  the X11_LIB_SWITCES in the
> Makefile
> in /usr/local/mcidas/tk/unix but now I don't get the incompatiability error I
> just get
> the error that it can't find -lX11.

Getting into a mode of modifying Makefiles, etc. is a slippery slope; I do not
recommend
it under any circumstances (that is my job, after all :-).

> I feel like it has to be a simple environment variable but I'm not getting
> the right
> one set.  Any help?  Thanks, Sarah

Please send your .cshrc file and lets start from there.

Ticket ID: GKF-870665