[McIDAS #OOQ-958289]: McIDAS 2007 on OS X install

Hi Tom,

First, let me say that giving me access to your Intel MacOS-X was _greatly_
appreciated.
There is no way that I would have understood the problem I eventually found
through
email exchanges describing the problem!!

"For the files": the problem I found was that the McIDAS startup process
widget, 'mcimagem',
was generating a bus error under certain circumstances.  I took a hard look at
the
source code for the routine, mcimagem.c, and did not see anything obviously
amiss, so
I was left scratching my head.  Through experimentation, I discovered that
'mcimagem'
runs correctly in a mini-McIDAS environemnt like:

mcenv mcimagem -run

This told me that the McIDAS environment needed by 'mcimagem' was either not
created
fast enough when 'mcimagem' runs by itself, or was getting torn down before it
should.
Having 'mcenv' run 'mcimagem' insures that a full McIDAS environment is created
before
'mcimagem' is run. So, I had to modify the McIDAS startup script 'mcidas'
(created from
'mcstart.gui' by the make process) to run 'mcimagem' from 'mcenv'.

As I write this, I am rebuilding the v2007 distribution from source just to
make sure
that I did not make a stupid mistake during my experimentations on buran.

I will let you know tomorrow if everything is up to snuff.

Ticket ID: OOQ-958289
Department: Support McIDAS