[ldmMcidas #WTM-677712]: McIDAS-XCD data doesn't seem to be filing

Hi Samuel,

re:
> O.K. I've done what you suggested:
>
> From the account ldm:
> [ldm@shu ldm]$ ldmadmin stop
> Flushing the LDM product-queue to disk...
> Stopping the LDM server...
> Waiting for the LDM to terminate
> Waiting for the LDM to terminate
>
> From the account mcidas:
> [mcidas@shu mcidas]$ cd $MCDATA
> [mcidas@shu workdata]$ gribadmin removedb
> Enter password:
> [mcidas@shu workdata]$ gribadmin makedb
> Enter password:
>
> From the account ldm:
> [ldm@shu ldm]$ ldmadmin start
> The product-queue is OK.
> /home/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct
> Starting the LDM server...
>
> Unfortunately if I type in "gribadmin latest" from mcidas, I get the
> following:
> [mcidas@shu workdata]$ gribadmin latest
>
> [mcidas@shu workdata]$

OK.  This comment coupled with:

"The file GRBFILER.PRO does not exist"

leads me to think that your $MCDATA directory is not writable by the user
running your
LDM.  If this is true, then decoding of POINT data into MD files should also
not be
working on your system.

Questions:

- is there a file named DCLSTIDX.PTR in your $MCDATA directory?

  If yes, who is it owned by?

  If no, is POINT data being decoded:

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd $MCDATA
  dmap.k MDXX

- what group(s) are 'mcidas' and 'ldm' in:

  id mcidas
  id ldm

- what is the umask for 'mcidas' and 'ldm'

- what is the read/write/execute permissions on the $MCDATA directory

re:
> Now just as another comment, I can always run "gribadmin removedb", and
> "gribadmin makedb" from mcidas's shell sucessfully,  however from the
> mcxconfig
> it's another story.  If I have ldm stopped, and I run gribadmin removedb, it
> works fine, but when I run mcxconfig, it always attempts to create the MySQL
> database,
> but then gives me the following error:
>
> Attempting to create MySQL database for GRIB/BUFR filing
> Enter password:
> ERROR creating MySQL database.  Check to make sure that MySQL
> is installed and that the password you used is correct!
> After you install MySQL and/or have the correct password, rerun:
> gribadmin makedb
> from the /home/mcidas/workdata directory as the user 'mcidas'
> Press <Enter> to continue:
>
> At this point if I run "gribadmin makedb" it seems to work fine, simply
> prompting me for a password.

OK, this appears to be a bug in the handling of output from gribadmin.  I will
address
this bug in mcxconfig in a future addendum.

> An interesting point is that mcxconfig doesn't report what the error is.
> Even if the database
> already exists, it simply displays the message above.

This is the bug.

> Only when I use the command line version of gribadmin, when I know the
> database exists, do I
> ever get the following error:
> ERROR 1007 (HY000) at line 2: Can't create database 'mcrtgrib'; database
> exists
>
> I'm sure I'm typing the password correctly, it would give me a password error
> if the password
> was incorrect.  I'm not sure what's going wrong.

This is a bug in mcxconfig where it is not correctly interpreting the output
from gribadmin.

> The file GRBFILER.PRO does not exist, the error DMBIN keeps complaining
> about, simply repeats
> itself over and over again.  This leads me to believe it cannot create the
> file, although I don't
> know why.

I agree with your surmise.  I would guess that the reason it can't create the
file is related to
the permissions on the $MCDATA directory.  Your responses to the questions I
asked above should
shed light on this.

> Is this all caused by MySQL not being in a standard directory
> (/usr/local/mysql)?

No.

> This was the directory recommended by the MySQL installation instructions.

I think that the problem lies elsewhere.

> I noticed I put an extra / at the end of the MySQL_ROOT variable.

This shouldn't make any difference.

> I'm going to try another make clobber, make all, then make install.all, just
> for good measure.

  ... later ...

> Doing another make clobber, make all, and make install.all with
> MySQL_ROOT=/usr/local/mysql
> didn't help. "gribadmin latest" still returns nothing.

OK.  I am assuming that you reviewed your McIDAS makelog and verified that
dmbin.k is being
created with MySQL support.  True?

By the way, if there is anyway that I could login as 'mcidas' on your system, I
could
likely figure out what is going on much faster than with these back and forth
messages.
Please let me know if this is possible.

Ticket ID: WTM-677712
Department: Support McIDAS