[McIDAS #OOQ-958289]: McIDAS 2007 on OS X install

Hi Tom,

re:
> Well, I tried a make uninstall.mcx, make clobber and make mcx
> today. I wanted to see if reinstalling it would work. It fails on the
> netcdf install.

Hmm...

> Perhaps I was a complete numbskull, and it had failed before,
> but I thought it had completed.  I don't think so, but it certainly
> is possible.

You would definitely know if the previous build failed since a goodly
sized fraction of McIDAS applications would not have been built, AND
a 'make install' would fail since the build was not finished.

> I believe that fink was used to do a software update
> (incl. compilers) between my last try and this one. That may
> have something to do with it.

Perhaps...

> [...]
> file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please
> consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++
> standard. Examples
> include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++
> includes, or <i
> ostream> instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable
> this warning
> use -Wno-deprecated.
> In file included from netcdfcpp.h:16,
> from netcdf.cpp:12:
> ncvalues.h:17:26: error: strstream.h: No such file or directory
> netcdfcpp.h:157: error: a class-key must be used when declaring a friend
> netcdfcpp.h:157: error: friend declaration does not name a class or
> function
> netcdfcpp.h:360: error: a class-key must be used when declaring a friend
> netcdfcpp.h:360: error: friend declaration does not name a class or
> function
> netcdfcpp.h:391: error: a class-key must be used when declaring a friend
> netcdfcpp.h:391: error: friend declaration does not name a class or
> function
> netcdf.cpp: In member function 'NcDim* NcFile::add_dim(const char*,
> long int)':
> netcdfcpp.h:153: error: 'NcDim::NcDim(NcFile*, const char*, long
> int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:109: error: within this context
> netcdf.cpp: In member function 'NcVar* NcFile::add_var(const char*,
> NcType, cons
> t NcDim*, const NcDim*, const NcDim*, const NcDim*, const NcDim*)':
> netcdfcpp.h:353: error: 'NcVar::NcVar(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:155: error: within this context
> netcdf.cpp: In member function 'NcVar* NcFile::add_var(const char*,
> NcType, int,
> const NcDim**)':
> netcdfcpp.h:353: error: 'NcVar::NcVar(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:172: error: within this context
> netcdf.cpp: In member function 'NcBool NcFile::sync()':
> netcdfcpp.h:152: error: 'NcDim::NcDim(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:232: error: within this context
> netcdfcpp.h:353: error: 'NcVar::NcVar(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:239: error: within this context
> netcdf.cpp: In member function 'NcBool NcFile::close()':
> netcdfcpp.h:154: error: 'virtual NcDim::~NcDim()' is private
> netcdf.cpp:252: error: within this context
> netcdf.cpp: In constructor 'NcFile::NcFile(const char*,
> NcFile::FileMode, size_t
> *, size_t)':
> netcdfcpp.h:152: error: 'NcDim::NcDim(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:344: error: within this context
> netcdfcpp.h:353: error: 'NcVar::NcVar(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:346: error: within this context
> netcdfcpp.h:353: error: 'NcVar::NcVar(NcFile*, int)' is private
> netcdf.cpp:347: error: within this context
> make[3]: *** [netcdf.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [cxx/all] Error 2
> make    /Users/mcidas/mcidas2007/netcdf:        FAILED

Since McIDAS does not use the C++ interface to any of the ancillary packages
included in the distribution, I always set CXX to blank.  This should tell
the configure script for the package to _not_ build the C++ interface.  The
fact that the C++ interface is being built indicates to me that the Unix
environment variables needed to be in place before attempting a build were
either not there or were incorrect.

> You're welcome to get on if you think it would help. I certainly
> don't mind serving as a testbed.

Excellent.  I will poke around to see if I see anything obviously wrong.

More later as I have a chance to look at the setup on buran.

Ticket ID: OOQ-958289