[McIDAS #FTB-213912]: Image Display Issue, MCIDASx2007c on AIX

Hi Martha,

re:
> I have finished the installation, and we continue to have problems. I
> don't think it is just related to the test procedure, as other users when
> trying
> to access the AIX's ADDE datasets cannot see images though imglist's show
> correct
> information.

OK.  This is a situation that I have not run into before, so I am struggling to
come up with tests for you to run that could pinpoint where the problem is.

re: cutting over to v2007 mcadde
> What I meant was, I had forgotten to do the ADDE install for 2007, and
> we were still running ADDE 2006. However, cutting over to ADDE 2007 did
> not solve the problem.

The ADDE configuration (not installation) step done as 'root':

<as 'root'>
cd /home/mcidas
sh ./mcinet2007.sh install mcadde

simply adds the needed entries to the system files /etc/inetd.conf and
/etc/hosts.allow.  The v2006 entries in these files were exactly the same
as the v2007 entries.  Running the 'mcinet2007.sh' script should have
no effect on serving data off of the machine.

re: did you finish the v2007 installation
> Yes, I did finish the 2007 installation, including cutting over to the
> ADDE remove server.

OK.

re: output of 'env | grep ^MC' and 'dsserve.k LIST'

I saw nothing in these outputs that give me any clue as to what is going on
(sigh)

re:
> I would be surprised if the settings are incorrect, as I have performed
> UNIDATA McIDAS installations including the tests for many years, but of
> course there's a first time for everything and Murphy is always lurking...

:-)

Hmm... so where do we stand???

Since you went ahead and finished the installation of v2007, let's forget
about the testing setup/outcome and concentrate on the "real" problem: other
machines can not display images served off or your AIX box.

Facts (refute when untrue!):

- IMGLISTs of image data hosted on the AIX box look correct both from accounts
  on the AIX machine and from other machines

- IMGDISPs of the same image data for the correctly IMGLISTed data do not result
  in:

  - an image displayed in the user's McIDAS session
  - navigation associated with the frame used for the IMGDISP

The fact that you can do an IMGLIST demonstrates that the remote ADDE interface
is working, otherwise this would also fail.

The fact that you can do an IMGLIST demonstrates that the server mapping table
entries for the image datasets is correct (or, at least, viable).

The fact that an IMGDISP for any image data indicates that the AREA GET server,
agetserv is _not_ working correctly.  The question is why...

Here is a test to run:

- from a McIDAS session not on the AIX machine, run an IMGDISP invocation
  as you normally would but include the keyword sequence TRACE=1 on the
  invocation command line

- logged in as 'mcidas' on the AIX machine, look for the trace output generated
  from the IMGDISP invocation that includes the TRACE=1 keyword.  The trace
  output will be found in a file named 'trce' which should be located in the
  ~mcidas/mcidas/data directory.  If/when you find the file, verify that the
  timestamp on it matches the invocation time of the IMGDISP request.

  NB: it is possible that 'trce' will have existed before the IMGDISP... TRACE=1
  invocation.  If this is the case, delete that copy of 'trce' before running
  IMGDISP.

'trce' should give us some clue as to why the image data is not being served
back to the requesting McIDAS session _IF_ agetserve is actually running
to completion.  If agetserv is bombing for some reason, I would suspect that
the problem is somehow related to the augmentation I made to be able to serve
PNG-compressed imagery in AREA format.  In anticipation of this possibility
I am rebuilding v2007 on our AIX 5.1 box using the IBM xlf/xlc compilers.  Since
our machine is slow, this build will take some time to complete, so I may not
be able to get back to you as soon as I would like.

Another thought...  You can test to see if the problem you are seeing is being
caused
by the modifications I made to support PNG-compressed imagery as follows:

<as 'mcidas' on the AIX machine>
cd ~mcidas/bin
mv agetserv agetserv.v2007
cp ~/mcidas2006/src/agetserv .

After making this change, rerun the IMGDISP test from the remote machine for
datasets
hosted on the AIX box.  If this now works, the culprit has been found.

Ticket ID: FTB-213912
Department: Support McIDAS