[McIDAS #HZP-657281]: Moving McIDAS-XCD server

Hi Hsie,

re: remake MySQL database on stratus

> OK. I do the following:
>
> Stop the LDM server.  (ldmadmin stop)
> Stop the MySQL server. (svcadm disable svc:/network/mysql:default)
> Remove all the database (include mysql and mcrtgrib).
> Regenerate mysql database. (/usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql_install_db
> --ldata=/var/mysql)
> Restart MySQL server. (svcadm enable svc:/network/mysql:default)
> Reset the database password.
> Delete everything in /home/mcidas/savedata/grib
> Regenerate mcrtgrib database (gribadmin makedb)
> Restart LDM server. (ldmadmin start)
>
> The data seems flowing.

Very good.

> I hope it will survive across reboot.

Me too.  I don't understand why access to the database was lost after
the reboot this morning.

re:
> It used to be every user can query ADDE server for real-time GRID data.
> in 2007 version only mcidas user can query ADDE server for RTGRIBS
> data. Is this correct?

No, this is not correct.  For instance, I am able to access the data in
the RTGRIBS dataset from stratus on my home machine:

<as 'yoksas' on my home machine>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k LIST RTGRIBS

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTGRIBS                      STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

dsinfo.k GRID RTGRIBS
        Dataset Names of Type: GRID  in Group: RTGRIBS

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL          99999    All GRIB1 grids
AWC-ALL      99999    AWC - All National Convective Weather Diagnostic grids
AWR-ALL      99999    AWR - All Alaska Waters Regional Wave Model grids
DSINFO -- done

GRDLIST RTGRIBS/RUC-ALL
Dataset position 1      Directory Title= /MAPS.86.2007253.1700.0.211.grib
PAR  LEVEL      DAY          TIME     SRC  FHR  FDAY         FTIME    GRID  PRO
---- ---------- ------------ -------- ---- ---- ------------ -------- ----- ----
WP     300 MB   10 SEP 07253 17:00:00 MAPS    0 10 SEP 07253 17:00:00   N/A LAMB
Number of grids listed = 1
GRDLIST - done

re:
> stratus:[29]% dsinfo.k ALL RTGRIBS
> No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTGRIBS
> No Datasets found of Type: POINT in Group: RTGRIBS
> No Datasets found of Type: GRID in Group: RTGRIBS
> No Datasets found of Type: TEXT in Group: RTGRIBS
> No Datasets found of Type: NAV in Group: RTGRIBS
> DSINFO -- done

Questions:

- what user were you when you ran this DSINFO command

- what is the output of:

dataloc.k LIST RTGRIBS

  when you are the same user

I am betting that since RTGRIBS is a new dataset in v2007 that
your McIDAS-X session does not have a pointer to the external
ADDE interface on stratus for it.  If this is the case, McIDAS assumes
that the dataset is LOCAL-DATA, and it is almost 100% sure that you
did not create the server mapping table entries as this user for
RTGRIBS.

Please NOTE: It is much better if your non-'mcidas' user points to
the external ADDE interface on stratus for all of the data that
stratus is serving.  This is one of the reasons that I include
the creation of the LOCDATA.BAT file in the ~mcidas/data (~mcidas/solaris/data
on stratus) directory.  If your non-'mcidas' user is setup the
way that is recommended in the Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide, then
it should be able to access the files in the ~mcidas/data (again,
~mcidas/solaris/data on stratus) directory.  The user can then make
the settings made in LOCDATA.BAT active as follows:

<as the non-'mcidas' user>
cd $MCDATA
batch.k LOCDATA.BAT CONTINUE=YES

The DATALOC commands contained in LOCDATA.BAT set the user's access
for the various datasets to the remote ADDE interface on the machines
where the various datasets are hosted:

DATALOC ADD CIMSS     stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD GINICOMP  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD GINIEAST  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD GINIWEST  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD NEXRCOMP  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD RTGRIBS   stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD RTGRIB2   stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS   adde.ucar.edu
DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD RTNEXRAD  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC   stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT  stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD TOPO      stratus.al.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD AMRC      uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu
DATALOC ADD EAST      unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
DATALOC ADD EUM_AD    193.17.10.4
DATALOC ADD GOESEAST  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
DATALOC ADD ME7       io.sca.uqam.ca
DATALOC ADD PUB       gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov
DATALOC ADD SOUTH     goessouth.unidata.ucar.edu
DATALOC ADD WEST      unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
DATALOC ADD MYDATA LOCAL-DATA
DATALOC ADD BLIZZARD stratus.al.noaa.gov

After doing this your non-'mcidas' user should be able to access
all of the data that stratus is maing available in the same way
that I am able to access all of the data that stratus is making
available from my home and work machines.

Also note that there are several sites accessing data on stratus:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
addeinfo.k
ADDEINFO: Start
ADDE Cumulative Totals: 2007251.061938 - 2007253.183048
IP                Bytes Sent  Client Name
-----------------+-----------+--------------------------------
134.74.11.233       2.55D+08  cecm7v.engr.ccny.cuny.edu
134.74.54.89        4.07D+07  halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
66.26.59.117        5.06D+07  cpe-066-026-059-117.nc.res.rr.com
204.144.179.235     1.51D+07  bcn-204-144-179-235.mric.net
24.253.73.31        6.22D+06  ip24-253-73-31.lv.lv.cox.net
128.174.80.124      1.56D+06  lab113e.atmos.uiuc.edu
192.100.51.131      7.14D+07  sentinel.nv.doe.gov
140.172.240.146     6.48D+05  stratus
All                 4.42D+08    1270
ADDEINFO: Done

Again, my home machine is bcn-204-144-179-235.mric.net.  There is no entry
for my work machine since the SERVER.LOG file gets rotated on Saturday
night, and I have not accessed your machine from work since then.

Ticket ID: HZP-657281
Department: Support McIDAS