[McIDAS #PYR-135620]: McIDAS

Hi Jennie,

re:
> I am really sorry this is dragging on.  I finally got to talk with Pete.  The
> other subscription had been initialized under a variant email/user-name.  I
> was
> able to log in, and so tomorrow, we will grab the MySQL RPM's.

Sounds good.

> I think before
> things will work on livos, we need to have mail set up on the machine (the ldm
> sends/receives mail).

Mail isn't absolutely necessary for the LDM.  In fact, the only mail used
anymore is the output of cron-initiated actions that do not STDOUT and STDERR
redirected to /dev/null.

> I also was reading, and it looks like I would not be
> able to run the McIDAS gui under the KDE desktop, is that right?

Well, the last time I tried KDE on my home development machine (Fedora Core
6), McIDAS ran with no errors, but there was some sort of a leak that
would result in huge memory usage if McIDAS is left running for 2-3 days.
I have not tried KDE lately, however, so the situation might have changed
(but I wouldn't bet on it).

> Do you recommend another desktop environment?

Yes, Gnome.

> It's my fault that the workstation wasn't all ready for you.  I hope we can
> get
> it together tomorrow; I know Pete is supposed to be here at 10am (so maybe by
> noon here, or 10am your time tomorrow, we could be ready for the
> installation?)

This sounds very good.

> Thanks again, sorry for being a pain.

Absolutely not a problem.  Talk to you tomorrow...

Ticket ID: PYR-135620