[McIDAS #TPD-549903]: AREA to NETCDF conversion

Hi Jingfeng,

re:
> I am a new user of McIDAS. Recently I run into a difficulty when trying to
> convert GOES7-VIS data in AREA format into NETCDF format. Basically, I did not
> get what I suppose to get: the converted files have nothing to do with the VIS
> signals. Here is the shell script I used to do the conversion:
>
> >#!/bin/sh
> >dir=$HOME/NOAA_GOES
> >clear
> >for files in ${dir}/*AREA_VIS
> >do
> > fname=${files##/*/}
> > day=`echo $fname | cut -c13-15`
> > time=`echo $fname | cut -c17-20`
> > echo $fname    $day    $time
> > # Coping the file
> > rm -f ~/mcidas/data/AREA0131
> > rm -f ~/mcidas/data/AREA0132
> > rm -f ~/mcidas/data/AREA0133
> > cp ${files} ~/mcidas/data/AREA0131
> > imgcopy.k GOES7/VIS.131 GOES7/VIS.132 LATLON=-7 68 PLACE=ULEFT RES=1
> > SIZE=1000 1000
> > imgremap.k GOES7/VIS.132 GOES7/VIS.133 PRO=MERC RES=1 SIZE=1000 1000
> > imgcopy.k GOES7/VIS.133 NETCDF/ALBEDO.1 SIZE=1000 1000
> > # Move the netcdf
> > mv ~/mcidas/data/ALBEDO0001.nc ~/NOAA_GOES/NETCDF/ALB.${day}.${time}.VIS.nc
> > done
>
> Anyone encountered a similar problem with a solution?

I don't know if anyone has encountered a problem similar to what you allude to.
In order to better understand what you are experiencing, I need to know several
things:

- what user is your script running as

- are your trying to run the scrip out of a cron job

- how is your NETCDF dataset setup

- how is your GOES7 dataset setup

- does your GOES7/VIS.133 image (created by the imgremap.k execution) look
correct

- finally, when you say that "the converted files have nothing to do with the
VIS
  signals" what _exactly_ do you mean

> Your help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Ticket ID: TPD-549903