[McIDAS #CNE-889859]: Setting up ADDE server

Hi Mike,

Thanks for giving me a login to both wxsession and wxsat.  This allowed me to
figure out what why a McIDAS DSINFO query as user 'unisup' would not show
information for the ER dataset hosted on wxsat.

The problem is in how the MCCOMPRESS environment variable is being set for
your user(s).  Upon login to wxsession, 'echo $MCCOMPRESS' showed:

[unisup@wxsession ~]$ echo $MCCOMPRESS
TRUE

The McIDAS-X v2006 installation on the remote ADDE server machine has moved
away from use of ports 500/503 (for uncompressed and 'compress' compressed
transfers, respectively) to exclusive use of port 112 for uncompressed and
gzip-compressed transfers.  This necessitates switching the definition of
MCCOMPRESS in user sessions to either GZIP for gzip-compressed or NONE
for no compression; I recommend using GZIP.  MCCOMPRESS defined to be TRUE asks
for 'compress' compressed transfers, and neither of your machines has
compress/uncompress
installed (or, if it is, it is not in the PATH being used by users).

I looked for a .cshrc file for the user 'unisup' on wxsession and did not
find one even though the SHELL for 'unisup' is Tcsh.  This implies that
you are using a different method to define needed environment variables
for McIDAS users.  You should review what you are doing and update it to
at least specify MCCOMPRESS as GZIP.

After setting MCCOMPRESS=GZIP as 'unisup' on wxsession, the remote access
to wxsat works fine:

<logged in as 'unisup' on wxsession>
setenv MCCOMPRESS GZIP
dataloc.k ADD ER wxsat.db.erau.edu

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
ER                           WXSAT.DB.ERAU.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
directory.DATALOC -- done

[unisup@wxsession data]$ dsinfo.k IMAGE ER

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: ER

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
GEC01V           1    1 KM VISIBLE CONUS

DSINFO -- done

[unisup@wxsession data]$ imglist.k ER/GEC01V FORM=ALL
Image file directory listing for:ER/GEC01V
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Size
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ------------
   1    30 MAY 07150  17:45:00    32   87
   Band: 1      1.32  1.22  3532 x 4252
     proj:    0 created: 2007150 185639  memo: RT GVAR
     type:VISR     cal type:BRIT
     offsets:  data=    2816 navigation=  256 calibration=    0 auxiliary=    0
     doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
     valcod:          0 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
     start yyddd: 2007150  start time:174514  start scan:  306
     lcor: 2837  ecor:  9277  bytes per pixel: 1  ss: 78
     Resolution Factors (base=1):   Line=    1.0   Element=    1.0
imglist.k: Description for SS number 78 was not found in the file SATANNOT
imglist.k: done

By the way, while I was investigating things on wxsat, I noticed that the
user 'mcadde' had /bin/bash set as its default shell.  My recommendation
is to set the 'mcadde' account to have no login, so I changed its default
shell to be /sbin/nologin and set it to have no password (both actions done
using 'vipw' as 'root').

Ticket ID: CNE-889859
Department: Support McIDAS