[McIDAS #FJA-643858]: McIDAS-XRD

Hi Tyn,

re:
> so the effect of 'make clobber' has no negative effect when
> continuing the upgrade path from here?

'make clobber' deletes the files created during the 'make' process.
This includes object files, executables, and some source files that
are generated from templates in the distribution.  It does not delete
the executables in the installation 'bin' directory (~mcidas/bin), and
it does not alter/remove any source code changes that you may have made.
The process that could change source code modifications is the unpacking
of the addendum file from the ~mcidas/mcidas2006/update directory as
one or more of the files contained in the addendum might be ones that
you modified if you made your source code changes/additions in the
~mcidas/mcidas2006/src directory.

> the only file i changed at the time was msgtaget2.for in line
> 1635 t/m 1668 which referrenced an external shell script that called
> upon the executable doing the actual decompression.
>
> When you were with us you integrated a portion _or_ all of these
> changes into a new appendum for McIDAS. I've forgotten what it actually
> was.

I never integrated your wavelet additions to msgtaget2.for into the
full distribution or addendum.  What I did do was add support for
PNG compression, but I did this in a much different way than Bas had
tried.  Since msgtaget2.for is not contained in any v2006 addendum,
your source code mods to the routine will not have been lost by
the addendum process.

Note:  you said that you did the 'make clobber' step, but you did not
say if you unpacked the full distribution or the addendum.  If you
unpacked the full distribution, then msgtaget2.for will have gotten
overwritten by the version contained in the distribution.  In this
case, you will need to edit msgtaget2.for to add your code back in.

Just to be sure we are clear on one point: it is easier/better to update
an existing distribution by installing addendum modifications than
to reinstall the full distribution since installing an addendum is
much quicker AND is likely to not cause the loss of local work for
sites that choose to modify files in the distribution.  For the
record, the addendum installation process is:
'
<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2006/update
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> <username> <- you should have this already
  <pass> <password>
  cd unix/2006/bugfix
  binary
  get mcupdate.tar.gz
  get mcupdate
  quit

chmod +x mcupdate
./mcupdate
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src
make
make xrd                   <- if one wants to make the XRD subpackage
make install
make install install.xrd   <- to install the XRD subpackage executables, etc.

Ticket ID: FJA-643858
Department: Support McIDAS