[McIDAS #XGD-732939]: McIdas and LDM

Hi Ben,

re:
> Thank you for the wealth of information.

No worries.

> That helped immensely.  You
> are right about us not currently ingesting the FNEXRAD IDD feed, I'll
> talk to the admin that runs the upstream machine and see about having
> him requesting it and allowing us to receive it.

Sounds good.

> Rob sends his greetings back, chased with another question.  :)

Argh!#$% ;-)

> He was wondering what format the files are that allow us to overlay
> highways, lakes, rivers, etc. info.

The files are McIDAS MAP files.  They are in their own format.

> More specifically, he wondered if
> we would somehow be able to use our esri shapefiles in McIDAS or not.

No, not directly.  What I have done in the past is work with Steve
Chiswell, our GEMPAK expert, to create an ASCII map file for GEMPAK, and
then use the MAKEMAP command in McIDAS to convert the ASCII map file to
McIDAS format.  If Rob has a particular map/set of maps that he is eager
to convert, I could work with Chiz to try to get these into McIDAS.  Please
let me know...

> Thanks again Tom!

No worries.

Ticket ID: XGD-732939