[McIDAS #TTX-917770]: McIDAS 2006 nav_init issue

Hi Joseph,

re:
> We are in the process of upgrading from McIDAS 2003 to McIDAS 2006 and ran
> into a problem compiling mci_nvpp. The compiler complained about several
> undefined symbols, and examining the makelog showed that nav_init was
> generating unusual nav types from the navigation modules: gpes, geps,
> ulua, etc. After examining nav_init, it became clear that the version of
> "tr" used wasn't accepting the [:lower:] [:upper:] character classes, and
> thus was translating 'o' to 'p' and 'l' to 'u'.

Interesting.  Can you tell us what operating system you are doing the build
on?  This will help to understand the problem more fully.

> Checking the McIDAS 2003 version of nav_init showed that UPC added a check
> for this issue, using the [a-z] [A-Z] format instead. Apparently this
> issue has crept back into the 2006 version.

Yes.  I thought that the problem had been resolved outside of McIDAS.  Evidently
it has not.

> I thought I would let you know.

Thanks for reporting the problem.  I will fold the old fix back into the
Unidata distribution and make it available in the next addendum and full
release.

Ticket ID: TTX-917770
Department: Support McIDAS