[McIDAS #KNL-950064]: McIDAS on OS X... which gcc compiler?

Hi Tom,

I'm making progress on the build but challenges remain.

After you redid the link for libgcc_g77.a:

cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s /usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin8.8.1/4.3.0/libgcc_g77.a libgcc_g77.a

the build got quite a bit further.  The next problem encountered was in in the
HDF
portion of the build where the Makefiles and header files created by 'configure'
were not compatible with your system presumably because it is an Intel-based
Mac (parts of the configure process set things to be like for a PPT Mac, and
part for an i386 box; the result was chaotic).

I downloaded the latest HDF4.2r1 build from NCSA (released on Feb 14, 2007),
but I don't get any further in the build (although I learned that on your
machine I need to define a "blank" environment variable as 'export CXX='
instead of 'export CXX=""'; go figure!).

I am currently investigating how to work around the HDF4.2r1 build problems.
I will send along more information as I find it...

Ticket ID: KNL-950064
Department: Support McIDAS