[McIDAS #LDE-412096]: setting up mcadde account in Suse 10.1

Hi HP,

re: About Ougadougou

> Thank you. Next week I will be working at EUMETSAT. Certainly Ougadougou
> will bediscussed as well..

This sounds good.  Please keep me apprised of any decisions regarding your
being able to participate in the Sahel 2007 Conference.  In particular, one
part of the workshop will be "hands on" sessions where participants can
work with applications and training materials.  I think your experience in
running the IDV would be a great addition to this portion of the conference

Note:  I keep switching between calling the event a conference and a workshop.
The reality is that it is both.  There will be numerous presentations like
one would expect at a conference, and there will be "hands-on" sessions that
allow the attendees to experience what has been presented.

re: looks like 'flex' is needed after all

> Yes, and I found it in the distribution. Build goes now further (see
> attached makelog)

'makelog' was not attached to this email.  Can you send me the last 50 or
so lines of the copy that shows the latest failure?

> but stop when it bounces into an -lcurses argument.

Hmm...  The RedHat variations of Linux (e.g., RedHat WS, and Fedora Core, and
Mandriva) have both libcurses.a and libncurses.a.  Apparently, SuSE only
has libncurses.a

> I recall that when building SSEC releases I had to edit -lcurses into
> -ncurses. I occurred in one instance only. I then untared, edit the
> relevant module and tared the whole gamut again. I take it that I have
> to do that again. Or is there a more straightforwardalternative?

Since you are using the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution, there is no need to
untar the distribution; modify mccomp.sh; and then retar the file.  Instead,
what you need to do is modify the file 'mccomp.sh'.  Do this as follows:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd ~/mcidas2006/src
-- edit mccomp.sh using your favorite editor; I use 'vi'
-- go down to the section that defines modifications for Linux. This will
   look like:

Linux)
        L_opts="$L_opts -L/usr/X11R6/lib"

        case ${g77:-$MCIDAS_G77} in
        ?*)
                l_opts="$l_opts -ldl"
                ;;
        *)
                # If libf2c.so is present (RPM install), dont include -lf2c
                if [ -f /usr/lib/libf2c.so -o -f /usr/local/lib/libf2c.so ];
then
                        l_opts="$l_opts -ldl"
                else
                        l_opts="$l_opts -lf2c -ldl"
                fi
                ;;
        esac

        case $O_opt in
        -O*)
                case $src in
                mnmx.for)
                        O_opt="-O0"
                        ;;
                igtv.pgm)
                        O_opt="-O0"
                        ;;
                zlm.pgm)
                        O_opt="-O0"
                        ;;
                esac
                ;;
        esac

        ;;

-- change this to look like:

Linux)
        L_opts="$L_opts -L/usr/X11R6/lib"

        case ${g77:-$MCIDAS_G77} in
        ?*)
                l_opts="$l_opts -ldl"
                ;;
        *)
                # If libf2c.so is present (RPM install), dont include -lf2c
                if [ -f /usr/lib/libf2c.so -o -f /usr/local/lib/libf2c.so ];
then
                        l_opts="$l_opts -ldl"
                else
                        l_opts="$l_opts -lf2c -ldl"
                fi
                ;;
        esac

        # Change -lcurses to -lncurses in $l_opts.
        case $l_opts in
        *lcurses*)
                l_opts=`echo "$l_opts" | sed "s/lcurses/lncurses/"`
                ;;
        esac

        case $O_opt in
        -O*)
                case $src in
                mnmx.for)
                        O_opt="-O0"
                        ;;
                igtv.pgm)
                        O_opt="-O0"
                        ;;
                zlm.pgm)
                        O_opt="-O0"
                        ;;
                esac
                ;;
        esac

        ;;

After making this change, start the build from the beginning:

make clobber
make

re: numerous warnings in 'makelog' can be ignored

> Thought so, but you never know!

Yes, I agree.

re: setting environment variables in the Linux shell before building McIDAS

> Yes, I followed strictly the guide and relevant shell script is included
> in the .bashrc. Checking it again I find CXX empty.

Very good.  This tells me that the message you saw before was strictly
informationa.

re: full development environment needed to build McIDAS

> Yes, my mistake. Initially, I was not aware that a development
> environment should be installed. I installed soemthing slimmer. I will
> know better.next time.

OK.  McIDAS uses ALOT of the system, so it needs a full development environment.
This is especially true since a number of standalone packages are included
in the distribution: netCDF, HDF, Tcl/TK, zlib, libpng, tiff, libgeotiff, etc.).

re: so 'flex' actually does need to be installed

> Done. See above.

Excellent.  This message indicates that after installing 'flex' you are
down to the different naming of the Curses library.  This should be the
last hurdle in building McIDAS.

re: getting a login to your system

> I have never done it, so no idea about the procedure. Of course, your
> are invited to hook up to my computer, if you tell me what I should do
> on my side. My Linux notebook is connected to an ADSL router here at
> home and I have a ~4Mb/s link to my ISP.

This should be possible _assuming_ a couple of things (one of which may
be beyond your control:

- that your ISP allows port 22 traffic to machines inside its domain
  (this is the thing that may be beyond your control)

- that the firewall on your in-house router (if you have one) allows
  traffic on port 22

- that the firewall on your Linux machine (if it is enabled -- which it should
  be --) allows port 22 traffic

The first thing is for me to know the IP address of your machine.  With the
IP address, I will be able to see if I can get to your machine.  If I can,
then it is likely that your macine's firewall will need to be configured
to allow port 22 traffic.  We can talk about that as soon as I have your
machine's IP and have tested access through your ISP's firewall.

> BTW it's SUSE 10.1 and not 10.2 I am using.

OK, my error.

> Thank you again, HP

No worries.  You are almost finished!

Ticket ID: LDE-412096