[McIDAS #VPF-945811]: Isobars based on PRE of METAR + PSL at seas

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I checked the contents of mcidas2006/src/sfccon.pgm and
> found the comments shown below.  The parameter PRE is what
> I want to contour over land where most METAR data are
> found.  In addition, I want to combine the PRE of METAR
> with SLP from ships and buoys in SFCCON when plotting the
> PMSL isobars.  The comments say that PRE does not match
> with ISFC schema.  I sense that that is the source of the
> obstacle.

The default definition for PMSL definition is contained in the
file ~mcidas/data/SFCCON.CORE:

PMSL   UNIT=MB \
       ISFC=PRE SVCA=na SYN=PSL ISHP=PSL

By this definition, when you specify PMSL as the parameter to
be contoured, you are selecting PRE from datasets with the ISFC
schema (e.g., RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY) and PSL from datasets with either
the SYN (e.g., RTPTSRC/SYNOPTIC) or ISHP (e.g., RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY)
schemas.

I just plotted a world map of PMSL contours and I think it is what
you want (GIF is attached):

ERASE;SFCCON PMSL WORLD 18 LSIZE=6 CIN=4 COL=3 LLI=.75 .75
DAT=RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY RTPTSRC/SYNOPTIC
Erased image frame(s) 1-1
Erased graphic frame(s) 1-1
ERASE: Done
Accessing Dataset Name = RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY.ALL
Accessing Dataset Name = RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY.ALL
Accessing Dataset Name = RTPTSRC/SYNOPTIC.ALL
Number of data points input to objective analysis:  7567
PTCON:  Done
SFCCON - Done

FRMSAVE 1 sfccon_pmsl.gif
Frame saved in /home/mcidas/linux64/workdata/sfccon_pmsl.gif

Please let me know if you agree that a contour of PMSL is what
you are looking for.

Ticket ID: VPF-945811
Department: Support McIDAS