[Datastream #NCH-125632]: archived surface observations

Hi Tyn,

re:
> for a course in South Africa and Burkina Faso next year i'm trying to
> link my El Nino (ENSO) rainfall predictor to my crop growth simulation
> model. Now, to prove (statistical significance) EL Nino really has an
> effect on seasonal rainfall totals i need at least 70 years of monthly
> rainfall data per station. Once i have that i'd like to serve it using
> ADDE, so my eLearning course using IDV can tap into this..

OK.  Sounds doable.

> Do you know someone who has archived surface obs (METAR + SYNOPTIC) in
> MD format for such a long period?

No, but with a little effort I think that you should be able to decode
the raw observations into McIDAS MD format.

> If not, how could we convert the following daily data into MD published
> at http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov?

METAR data should be usable by the McIDAS XCD POINT decoder contained in
the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution _with a bit of effort_.

> web access
> http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/CDO/redirector?datasetabbv=GSOD&countryabbv=&ge
> oregionabbv (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/res40.pl?page=gsod.html)
>
> binary access: ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/gsod/

We can talk about this next Wednesday.

Ticket ID: NCH-125632
Department: Support Datastream