[McIDAS #YPD-840873]: getting the BLIZZARD datafiles

Hi Myron,

re: accessing the data for the BLIZZARD dataset
> Well. I got the password sent to me by remembering what e-mail I
> registered under.

Very good.

> It seems now that the ftp server the blizzard datafiles are on
> doesn't accept my username which is my e-mail address.

The username/password for the FTP site are separate.  Here is the
information you need:

<login to your machine as the user 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/data/tutorial
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> umcidas
  <pass> uni_mci!
  cd data
  cd workshop
  binary
  get learn_data.tar.gz
  quit
zcat learn_data.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd ~mcidas/workdata

-- make sure that your McIDAS setup knows how to find the BLIZZARD data
   files

dmap.k GRID8
dmap.k MDXX8
dmap.k AREA8

If your McIDAS file REDIRECTions are setup correctly, the dmap.k (DMAP)
invocations should show that the files beginning with GRID8, MDXX8, and
AREA8 are found in the ~mcidas/data/tutorial directory.  If they are
not, you need to run the following three commands:

redirect.k ADD GRID8\* \"/home/mcidas/data/tutorial
redirect.k ADD MDXX8\* \"/home/mcidas/data/tutorial
redirect.k ADD AREA8\* \"/home/mcidas/data/tutorial

At this point, you can setup ADDE access to the BLIZZARD data files:

batch.k BLIZADDE.BAT

Please let me know if any of the above does not make sense.

Ticket ID: YPD-840873
Department: Support McIDAS