[McIDAS #LYL-866773]: In Search of FOS Data

Hi Patti,

re:
> Essentially,we are looking for an alternate site that serves FOS data
> and allows LDM.

I assume you are looking for a site that will relay you FOS data from
NOAAPORT.  There are lots of Unidata sites that can do this including
NSF/ATM.  All that is needed is for you to install the LDM on a Unix/Linux
box that has a good, high speed Internet connection. Internet2 would be
needed to feed off of NSF/ATM, but there are other sites that can feed
through the commodity Internet.  Your LDM machine will need to be able
to send/receive data using port 388 and have forward and reverse DNS.
After we get you setup with the feeds you want, we can go through the
procedure for configuring your LDM to run McIDAS XCD decoders.

> And anyone that I can contact that currently has code that uses LDM to
> pull the FOS data and puts it into McIDAS, so that we don't have to
> re-invent the wheel (Yet again).

The code needed is part of what I bundle with the Unidata distribution
of McIDAS.  Since NESDIS is a MUG member in good standing (correct?)
we can give you access to the Unidata McIDAS distribution (Unidata's
license with to distribute McIDAS allows us to distribute to educational
institutions worldwide AND to current MUG members).

> Is that asking too much?

Nope, this should be relatively easy to accomplish.

By the way, sorry for the tardy replies, but I am currenly on vacation
in Hawaii...

Ticket ID: LYL-866773
Department: Support McIDAS