[McIDAS #ZWY-825020]: McIDAS - tclcomp failed to build

Hi Hajo,

re:
> i created a simple wrapper script for the SSEC installation
>
> ./build.mcidas2005
> #!/bin/bash
> set -x
> cd  /home/mcidas || exit
> rm -rf mcidas2005
> tar -zxvf mcidas2005.tar.Z
> # Patches
> perl -p -i -e 's/-lcurses/-lncurses/' ./mcidas2005/src/makefile
> perl -p -i -e 's/system.*relid.*/:/' ./mcidas2005/tcl/unix/configure
> perl -p -i -e 's/system.*relid.*/:/' ./mcidas2005/tk/unix/configure
> ./mcidas2005.sh -gcc make && ./mcidas2005.sh install

Clever!

> the ./build.mcidas2006  ( just changed anything from 2005 to 2006 )
> works also BUT during both run of the build scripts sometimes i have got
> the following error
> g77 -WL, -s -O -o decoder decoder.o -L. -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lsdi -lmcidas
> -ldl -lm
> decoder.o: In function `end_of_line' :
> decoder.c:(.text+0x181e): undefind reference to `wnvblk_'
>
> Currently 2 build out of 5 attemps failed.

This is another problem that I fixed in the Unidata distribution.  I
have round that recent distributions of Linux when running on fast CPUs
seem to exercise a bug in 'ar'.  What is happening is that 'ar' does
not finish flushing its output to disk before another invocation runs.
When this happens, not all of the object modules that have been compiled
get added to the libraries that they should be added to.  I "fixed"
(worked around) the problem by adding a 'sleep' after 'ar' invocations
in mcar.sh.  Here are the modified lines that are included in the Unidata
McIDAS distribution:

#-------
# add the objects to the library
#-------

ar r${ar_l} $lib ${1+"$@"} || exit 1
# <<<<< UPC add 20051103 - wait for memory cache to flush to disk >>>>>
sleep 5

#-------
# run a ranlib(1) if necessary
#-------

$ranlib $lib
# <<<<< UPC add 20051103 - wait for memory cache to flush to disk >>>>>
sleep 1

> Btw: As you can see the unpacked mcidas2006 directory does not gets
> overwritten by the SSEC mcidas2006.sh script.

OK.  It has been several years since I used the SSEC build procedure, so
my earlier comments about the source being overwritten are now out of
date.

> So thanks a lot for you support.

No worries.

By the way, we just added Marianne's Unidata account user name (her email
address) to the exceptions list for Unidata McIDAS downloads.  Marianne
should now be able to download our version of McIDAS with no problems.
If you/she decide to start using our distribution, please read and use
my installation instructions instead of SSEC's:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas

    Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide (html)
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/users_guide/toc.html

Also, if you want to see what I change in the SSEC distribution in the
process of creating the Unidata one, please review:

~mcidas/mcidas200[56]/CHANGES.200[56]

> With kind regards

Ticket ID: ZWY-825020
Department: Support McIDAS