[McIDAS #ZWY-825020]: McIDAS - tclcomp failed to build

Hi Hajo,

re:
> Operating System: 10.1 SUSE LINUX 10.1 (i586) - 2.6.16.13-4-default

Unidata sites have built McIDAS-X under SuSE with no problems, so your
email indicating problems is unexpected.

> Hardware Information: test -n \'\'
> + test -s confdefs.h
> + cat
> + echo
> + sed \'/^$/d\' confdefs.h
> + sort
> + echo
> + test 0 \'!=\' 0
> + echo \'configure: exit 258\'
> + rm -f core \'*.core\'
> + rm -rf \'conftest*\' confdefs.h \'conf7696*\'
> \"Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz\"
> Inquiry: 1) Building mcidas the standard way
> command:
> ./mcidas2005.sh make

Hmm...  Which McIDAS-X distribution are you trying to build, Unidata's or
SSEC's?

Two things here:

- SSEC does not support McIDAS-X under anything but RedHat Linux

- the procedures for building Unidata McIDAS are different than
  those published by SSEC

Given the second bullet above, your problem could be a result of you
attempting to build Unidata McIDAS using SSEC's instructions.

If you are using the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution, then I recommend
that you do the following:

1) wipe out your ~mcidas/mcidas200[56] directory and subdirectories

2) download, if necessary, a fresh Unidata McIDAS distribution (I
   recommend v2006 since it is the currently released one) including
   the files:

   mcidasx2006.tar.gz
   mcunpack
   mcinet2006.sh

   You download these to the HOME directory of the user 'mcidas' (i.e., ~mcidas)

3) change/set the execute permission on mcunpack:

   chmod +x mcunpack

4) make sure that the environment variable McINST_ROOT is set.  This is most
   typically set to be the HOME directory of the user 'mcidas'.

5) run the unpack script:

   cd ~mcidas
   ./mcunpack

   This creates a set of directories under $McINST_ROOT and unpacks the gzipped
   distribution tar file

6) set your SHELL specific definition file to include the following defines:

   Since you are using BASH, you would add the following to your .bash_profile
   file:

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR conforming shell defines needed to bulid McIDAS
McINST_ROOT=$HOME
VENDOR=-g77
export McINST_ROOT VENDOR
if [ -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then
  . $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh
fi

7) logoff and then log back in.  This step will cause environment
   variables defined in:

   $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh

   to become active.  They are needed for the Unidata McIDAS build.

8) CD to the McIDAS v2006 source directory and build the package:

   cd ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src
   make

9) if the build proceeds without error, then install the package:

   make install

> Any hints ?

Please let me know if these procedures above work for you in building
Unidata McIDAS.

Ticket ID: ZWY-825020