[McIDAS #XRG-216133]: Terrascan to Mcidas area converter??

Hi Wayne,

re:
> I was googling on the internet to find out if there was such a thing
> as a Terrascan to Mcidas converter.  I saw as recently as 2001 there
> was work towards this goal:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/polcom/archive/
> pcmeeting2001oct/pcstatus2001octmcidas.htm
>
> Can you tell me if such a thing exists?

There are two things to note here:

- UCAR/JOSS created a conversion procedure from TeraScan (tm)-produced
  HDF-formatted product output (temperature and albedo) to McIDAS AREA.
  The navigation used was obtained from a McIDAS NAV server at SSEC.

- a person at CPTEC has created a TeraScan TDF to McIDAS AREA converter.
  I have done some comparisons of brightness values between the images
  being produced at CPTEC and ones intested with McIDAS SDIs, and the
  comparisons show a systematic error.  I put one comparison into a
  web page that you might want to look at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/cptec/index.html

  The programmer(s) that created the conversion code are now looking
  to see where their error is.  After they fix the problem, I am
  supposed to get a copy of the code for evaluation and possible
  conversion into a McIDAS TeraScan ADDE server.

> We are working with MIT and
> they want to run Velden's winds code but it requires GOES imager
> Mcidas areas for input.  MIT receives there GOES data via Terrascan.

Yup, there are lots of folks in the same situation.  I am hopeful that
the CPTEC code will be moldable into an ADDE server.  It could make a
lot of folks's lives better, including Matthew Lazarra's :-)

> Any help would be appreciated.

I will be keeping Matthew informed as to the progress with the CPTEC code.
I can do the same for you if you like.

> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: XRG-216133