[McIDAS #EVK-618157]: 20060812: CPTEC TeraScan to McIDAS AREA conversion softare

Hi Waldenio,

re:
> I will talk with Luiz Augusto Machado about your
> intention to add the software to the ADDE server.

Very good.  Did you get the email I sent earlier today?

> Yesterday the people on DSA were working on the
> strange pixel values. After this they will deliver
> the software to me.

OK.  I can provide more scatterplot examples comparing
values from McIDAS and those converted from your TeraScan
receiver.

> Meanwhile, I got some more informations about the
> DSA image processing.
>
> 1) They receive the imagery with Terascan.
> 2) They use some home-made FORTRAN software
> (with routines call from terascan package -- I think)
> to convert the imagery to a 2-bytes binary in regular
> grid projection.

The 2-byte binary data can easily be converted into a McIDAS
AREA file using the McIDAS routines especially if the projection
in the 2-byte binary is a regular lat,lon grid.

MAKEAREA

followed by

MAKNAV

If the navigation in the 2-byte binary data are in GOES projection,
the McIDAS navigation for the same time period can be used to
create the correctly navigated image.

> -> These data are available for free distribution by FTP

Excellent.  Again, these can be converted into an AREA file
using existing McIDAS routines.

> 3) The program that Asiel Bonfim wrote reads these data
> and generates the McIDAS AREA.

Too bad Asiel didn't ask if this was already possible in McIDAS.

> So, by my present informations, the conversion is done
> in a 2-step process. I see no problem in sending you both
> home-made programs.

OK.  The code that is most needed is that which extracts the
image data out of TeraScan TDF files.  The other routines will
be interesting.

> Do you have any comments about the satellite projection
> in our imagery ?

The navigation (projection) was very good.  It was the data values
that were off.  I think that this is because the code is using
the range of values converted and mapping those into the range of
possible values for a GOES image (0 - 1023).  The procedure should
map the full range of input data to the full range of output data.
This is one of the things that I will check when I get to see the
code.

Ticket ID: EVK-618157
Department: Support McIDAS