[McIDAS #BEV-149253]: McIDAS OUTLANT map in GEMPAK?

Hi Robert,

re:
> I wonder if it would be possible to convert the McIDAS map of Antarctica,
> OUTLANT, into a GEMPAK map.

There are no facilities in McIDAS or GEMPAK for converting a McIDAS OUT*
file to any other form, or, at least, there are none in the distribution.

> We have an upcoming campaign
> in Antarctica this winter and OUTLANT is superior in that it shows the
> edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.

Chiz told me that if we can find a shapefile that contains the high resolution
coastline of Antarctica, he can use it to create a GEMPAK map file.  He
also told me that he had found some extremely high resolution shapefiles
of Antarctica, but they were for pieces of the continent and in a resolution
that was so much higher than any other available in GEMPAK that they
were problably not what was wanted.

I will check with the SSEC folks to see if they have an ASCII version of
the OUTLANT that might be compatible with GEMPAK.

> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: BEV-149253
Department: Support McIDAS