[McIDAS #DDV-809959]: McIDAS to NetCDF

Hi Steve,

re:
> Hey buddy, we miss not seeing your smiling face around
> since our move down the street! It's been a change
> moving to NCAR, both culture and politics. I hope all
> is well with you....

Things are going well, thanks. How's life in NCAR?

> BTW, a discussion item came up in some field project
> planning regarding McIDAS AREA and NetCDF formats.
> Is there anything new with such a converter these days?

McIDAS has an ADDE server that can output imagery in netCDF
format, so one can use McIDAS to convert from AREA to netCDF.
The reverse, however, (netCDF to AREA) is not possible.

> I remember at one time you were hoping to have time to
> do some development here.  Any suggestions would be
> welcome....

Perhaps you are thinking about our many conversations on
converting TeraScan TDF to McIDAS AREA?  If you are, then
there is some good news.  CPTEC (a division of INPE in Brazil)
reportedly has solved the TDF to AREA conversion problem.
I will be touching base with my contact there (Waldenio Gambi de
Almeida) to get the procedure/code.  My objective would be to
verify that the conversion code is valid and then _potentially_
include it in my McIDAS v2006 release (which should be available
in mid to late July).

One last thing.  You will have noted that I moved this inquiry into
our new inquiry tracking system for response.  We are asking our
users to send package-related questions directly into the system
by using topic-specific email addresses.  For instance, a McIDAS
inquiry should be sent to address@hidden; a
GEMPAK inquiry should be sent to address@hidden;
an LDM inquiry should be sent to address@hidden.
A full listing of the topic-specific support aliases we maintain
can be found in:

Topic-Specific Email Addresses
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/topics.jsp

Any question that does not fit into one of the predefined categories
can simply be sent to address@hidden.

Thanks in advance for helping us transition to use of the new
tracking system!

Ticket ID: DDV-809959
Department: Support McIDAS