[McIDAS #XKM-786092]: Anotehr bug: ADDE server not working?

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> OK. A few things:
>
> On weather.admin, everything works to weather2 (that is, I can get all
> data from weather2 on weather).

I have verified that all of the ADDE datasets _are_ correctly setup and
accessible from weather2.admin.niu.edu from machines here at Unidata.  This
agrees with your observation from McIDAS sessions run on weather.admin.niu.edu.

> But, weather.admin data is
> unavailable, and I know I am saving stuff on it now.

> Also, I cannot access
> any data from weather3 to weather2.

Meaning that your McIDAS session is running on weather3 and your are pointing
at weather2 for ADDE data?

> I get an RC=2 error code in return
> when I try to get stuff plotted from weather3.

From weather3 or on weather3?

> But, I can get data/stuff
> plotted from weather3 from weather. Is that weird or what?

Very.

> I checked all
> sorts of stuff on weather3, including hosts.allow...nothing out of the
> ordinary.
>
> Weird, eh?

Yes.

Here is what I found:

1) weather2 appears to be correctly setup to serve a full suite of data that
   is included in the IDD via ADDE.  Here are the ADDE group names that
   I have tested:

   CIMSS
   GINICOMP
   GINIEAST
   GINIWEST          <- imagery
   NEXRCOMP
   RTIMAGES
   RTNEXRAD
   TOPO

   RTPTSRC           <- observations that can be decoded into "engineering
units"
   RTWXTEXT          <- observations that can not typically be decoded into
                        engineering units (not 100% true, but descriptive
enough)

   I have access data from all of the above ADDE dataset groups on weather2 on
   my office machine, yakov.unidata.ucar.edu

2) weather3 is setup to serve _some_ (not all) of the data available in the
   IDD streams:

   NEXRCOMP
   RTIMAGES
   RTNEXRAD
   TOPO

   RTPTSRC
   RTWXTEXT

   Missing are:

   CIMSS
   GINICOMP
   GINIEAST
   GINIWEST

   This morning I logged onto weather3 and noticed that the NOAAPORT GINI
imagery
   were not being written to the directory structure I would have expected after
   looking at the setup on weather2 (/home/data/gempak/images/sat).

3) weather.admin.niu.edu is setup to serve an even smaller set of data received

   RTIMAGES
   RTNEXRAD
   TOPO

   RTPTSRC      <- only some of the descriptors of this group

So, depending on what you were trying to access on weather.admin and
weather3.admin,
you may or may not have been successful.

The other thing to make sure of is if you were actually "pointing" to the ADDE
server that you thought you were.  This is easily done by the McIDAS DATALOC
command:

DATALOC LIST

If your objective is to have all three of your machines setup to be able to
serve the same sets of data, then there is some setup work that is needed.

Ticket ID: XKM-786092
Department: Support McIDAS