[McIDAS #XAY-796012]: Re: 20060515: mcidas-x email subscription request

Hi Darwin,

re:
> I have the pleasure to addresse this letter to you. I working with
> climate data for entire world at International Potato Center.

I am curious, where is the International Potato Center?  I assume that
this is somewhere in South America...

> I working with GOES satellite image for obtain rainfall data in
> first step is for Peru and Sudamerica.
>
> For that i need working with McIDAS.

OK. Are you getting McIDAS from the Unidata website (you must be
a registered Unidata user representing an educational institution to
do this)?  If yes, then please be aware that I just updated the
McIDAS-X for Windows-XP files about 5 minutes ago.

> I working with windows 2000 in my computer. I dont working with
> Linux.

OK.  Please read the instructions for installing McIDAS-X on Windows-XP:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonWindowsXPWorkstations.html#10247

In particular, please note that you need the following software installed
on your Windows-XP machine:

Microsoft services for Unix
X-Window server software

Microsoft services for Unix is freely available from Microsoft; there are many
X-Window
server packages available; some are free, but most cost.  We have very little
experience with which X-Windows server software works, so please follow the lead
provided by folks at SSEC:

"** We do not have a specific X server that we recommend. We have tried many X
servers,
but have encountered problems, especially when cutting and pasting, with all of
them.
Some work better than others; many people at SSEC use Exceed, X-Win 32 or
MicroImages."

Ticket ID: XAY-796012
Department: Support McIDAS