[McIDAS #YXD-786071]: Installation trouble : Can't locate file for: -lcc_dynamic

Hi Gautam,

re:
> 1) If I dont run 'xhost + lena.mit.edu' - then I am unable to launch
> 'xterm'. But doing the 'xhost +' does let me launch xterm.

Hmm...  if you SSH to lena while tunneling X, you should not have to
run the xhost command:

ssh -Y address@hidden

This is the whole purpose of tunneling in SSH.

> 2) After doing 'xhost +', I was able to launch wish8.4. I logged on
> as 'gbisht' [as I saw you were logged as 'mcidas'],
> ssh -Y address@hidden
> $ ../mcidas/mcidas/tcl/bin/wish8.4

OK.

> 3) Something that might be tangential to the current matter, I was
> going thru the 'Configuration of a new account' : http://
> www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/
> ConfiguringaNewUserAccount.html
>
> In the section: Setting the Environment - Step 4 (for Mac OS X)
> Type: setenv TCL_LIBRARY $HOME/mcidas/tcl/lib/tcl8.4
> Type: setenv TK_LIBRARY ~mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4>
> But I noticed that for 'mcidas' user, there is no such directory
> '$HOME/mcidas/tcl/lib/'.

Oops, this is a typo.  It should be :

Type: setenv TCL_LIBRARY ~mcidas/tcl/lib/tcl8.4
Type: setenv TK_LIBRARY ~mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4

I just updated the Users Guide to affect the correction.

> 4) Also I found this article on the support archives:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/idv/msg00803.html

I figured out what was happening: the link of 'mcwish' was creating an
executable that would not run correctly.  I reviewed the build of
'wish' in ~mcidas/mcidas2005/tk/unix's Makefile, and see that the following
flag was added for MacOS-X:

-Wl,-search_paths_first

I added this to the Tcl/Tk compilation/link script,
~mcidas/mcidas2005/src/tclcomp.sh,
as a runtime path (just to get something working:

RUNTIME_PATH=
case \`uname -sr\` in
"SunOS 5."*) RUNTIME_PATH="-R $TCL_PREFIX/lib";;
"Linux 2."*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,-rpath,$TCL_PREFIX/lib";;
Darwin*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,-search_paths_first";;
FreeBSD*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,-rpath,$TCL_PREFIX/lib";
OSF1*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,-rpath,$TCL_PREFIX/lib";;
IRIX*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,-rpath,$TCL_PREFIX/lib";;
HP-UX*) RUNTIME_PATH="-Wl,+b,$TCL_PREFIX/lib";;
esac

After adding -search_paths_first flag for linking, 'mcwish' builds without lots
of warnings AND it runs correctly.

After getting 'mcwish' to work correctly, I ran into shared memory limitations
on lena.  The current setup allows only 3 600x800 frames in a McIDAS session.
It also appears that the lack of shared memory is not allowing McIDAS to
create shared memory segments that it needs.  I say this because of the
errors I see on startup:

lena:~ mcidas$ mcidas -config
Program terminated, address out of range
Program terminated, address out of range
lena:~ mcidas$ mcimage: Failed to Attach to Shared Memory -- Decode To Image
Buffer

So, it appears that you will need to work with the system administrators on
lena to have it configured to support (alot) more shared memory.  I suggest
512 MB as a minumum.  Please review:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/workstation.html

I just noticed that the /etc/rc setup on lena was different than what was listed
in the above web page.  The difference was apparently related to the difference
in the Panther release of MacOS-X and the Tiger release of MacOS-X.  The updated
information I put in the web page reflects what I saw in lena's /etc/rc file:

Default:

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304 kern.sysv.shmmin=1 kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8 kern.sysv.shmall=1024

This needs to be modified to something like:

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=536870912 kern.sysv.shmmin=1 kern.sysv.shmmni=128
kern.sysv.shmseg=32 kern.sysv.shmall=131072

MacOS-X is like other operating systems in that there needs to be a reboot to
make these
settings active.

Ticket ID: YXD-786071