[McIDAS #JHL-686052]: Question about McIDAS NEXRAD servers

Hi Leonid,

re:
> i just installed McIDAS, and it works well. We mostly are working with
> NEXRAD data, from region of Puerto Rico.

OK.

> I would like to know if it's possible to get not only the latest Nexrad
> image from the server, but images from the previous months/years?

No, I do not know of any ADDE server that has months or years of NEXRAD
Level III imagery.

> Do
> you have archives of the images somewhere, available to download with
> McIDAS?

The ADDE server adde.ucar.edu has a rolling two week "archive" of NEXRAD
images.  These images can be accessed through the ADDE dataset NEXRALL:

DATALOC ADD NEXRALL ADDE.UCAR.EDU
DSINFO IMAGE NEXRALL

To use images older than this in McIDAS, you would need to:

- download some images from the archive (typically using FTP from
  a source like www.ncdc.noaa.gov)

- create an ADDE dataset from the images you download

- use the images you downloaded in McIDAS from the command line

For access to "historic" and near-realtime NEXRAD imagery, you might
want to send a request to the address@hidden email list that
we maintain.  Please note that you must subscribe to this email list
before you will be allowed to post to it.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online at: