[McIDAS #NLA-107808]: Build Error mcwish MacOS-X 10.4.5

Hi Stewart,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on your MacOS-X problem.

Building MciDAS under MacOS-X is a bit tricky as you have found out.
At the current time, our MacOS-X developoment machine (actually our
only MacOS-X box) is not functioning, so I am unable to work through
the steps you need to take to get things working on your end.

If the development environment is installed in a standard way, then
the following advice from SSEC (and in the McIDAS Users Guide) should
be helpful:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/PreparingtheWorkstation.html#25760

  Renaming the g77 library on Mac OS X

  On Mac OS X systems, a collision can occur between the g77
  version of the libgcc.a file and the Apple-supplied file of
  the same name. To resolve the conflict, the system administrator
  should run the three commands below to rename the file to libgcc_g77.a
  in the /usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0/3.4.0/ directory
  and create a link to it in the /usr/local/lib/ directory. Note that
  the version numbers in the directory path may be different on your
  system.

  Type:  cd /usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0/3.4.0
  Type:  mv libgcc.a libgcc_g77.a
  Type:  ln -s libgcc_g77.a /usr/local/lib/

You should not have to edit any of the McIDAS build files (e.g., makefile
or mccomp.sh).

If this tip does not get you going, I can login to your system to scope
things out.  In order to do this, I would need the 'mcidas' password
(and possibly 'root') sent to my private email address:

address@hidden

If you decide that you would like me to login, please send the password
** without any reference to the account name or machine name ** to the
above address in one email and the machine name in a separate email.

Ticket ID: NLA-107808