[McIDAS #MHL-637032]: question about imgremap

Hi Ying,

Sorry to not get back to you before now...

Further investigation of the GeoTIFF images created by McIDAS shows that the
navigation is specified as 'user defined'.  This is why the GeoTIFF images are
not automatically recognized by things like ArcMAP.

After fully installing ArcGIS 9.2 beta at the UPC we were able to load one of
the
national total precipitation (NTP) GeoTIFFs created on your machine in one
layer and
then display a correctly navigated map in another layer.  The tricky part for
us (given that we are not knowledgable in ArcXXX) was learning how to turn off
all map features that we did not want and set the transparency so that the
precipitation features from the NTP GeoTIFF were visible.

Aside: we were unable to display a map using ArcMAP 9 because we did not
have the various Arc*** map/census/etc. databases installed on our server.
Since we
did not load the databases before upgrading to v9.2 beta, I can not say whether
we would have been able to display the GeoTIFF images and map using v9.

I sent in an inquiry to SSEC asking why the navigation geo tags were set to
user defined when the McIDAS RECTilinear projection appears to be the same as
one supported by ArcGIS.  Again, the McIDAS RECTilinear projection is a simple
Lat,Lon map, so it should be easily incorporated into the various GIS packages
that are available.

Ticket ID: MHL-637032
Department: Support McIDAS