[McIDAS #DJR-180829]: Mcidas xcd vs ldm mcidas

Hi Randy,

re: opening port 80 so http access to THREDDS catalogs will work
> We do have port 80 open. Unfortunately we have to go through something
> called "websense" which forces us to type in our username/password
> everytime we start mozilla. I can only imagine it is blocking access
> through IDV somehow. We are working on getting our lab network switched
> over to another which will then place no restrictions on us. That should
> help.

OK.

> I will investigate the netcdf converters for grib and IDV.

Sounds good.  As you continue in IDV investigations, please send questions
related to IDV to address@hidden.  This will help us to organize
the questions and answers in the new inquiry tracking system we are using.
Thanks!

> Since we copy over the MD files to another machine nightly we will set
> up an ADDE server so that data can be accessed.

Very good!  Since you are copying the files to a different machine anyway,
it would be a good time to rename them.  When doing this, please give some
thought to a naming convention that allows ADDE datasets to be easily defined
using the DIRFILE= keyword in DSSERVE.

> We have 3 years of MD
> data on that machine. Thus the question to you last week. The decoder
> box was suppose to be a quick fix until we got the other thing working.
> Not! Live and learn.

Hmm...  I still don't know what you have in mind for the real-time data.
The XCD decoders will need to write to a file named MDXXnnnn, and the file
should stay until it is filled.  I guess you could have a realtime POINT
source dataset (RTPTSRC) like SSEC and we do, and a non-real-time dataset
like PTSRC or ARPTSRC (ARchive PoinTSouRCe).

> I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Sounds good.

> One other question. SSEC tells me that I have to have SSEC-Mcidas2006 in
> order to run McIDAS-XCD2006. This seems odd based on past experience.

I would guess that they mean that you need to have McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD
in lock step since McIDAS-X is built by linking against the McIDAS-X library,
libmcidas.a (in addition to linking against the XCD library, libxcd.a).  If
this is what they are saying, I would agree since changes to utility routines
in McIDAS-X will affect how McIDAS-XCD decoders work.

Ticket ID: DJR-180829
Department: Support McIDAS