[McIDAS #HFW-219253]: McIDAS: McGUI Data Plot Time Problem

Hi Mike,

Sorry about this tardy reply...

> First of all the problem is with point data (surface and upper air).

Hmm...  The list of times for both of these datasets is generated
by a function used by the MCGUI (proc getPlotTimes); they are not returned
from the server.
> I tried your suggestions but am having the same problem (I tried the
> adde.ucar.edu server.)

OK.  I was on the wrong track in my first reply.  I just ran through a
plot of surface data and see what you are talking about.  The problem is
not that there are a limited number of plot times available, but, rather
that the dropdown widget that displays the available times is missing the
scroll bar on the right hand side.  The lack of a scrollbar, however,
does not prevent you from scrolling the list.  All you need to do is:

- click the left mouse button over the drop down list; this exposes the
  dropdown that only shows the limited set of times

- click and hold down the middle mouse button and then move the mouse
  up and down to scroll through the list.  If you have a mouse with
  a scroll thumbwheel, it is even easier to scroll through the list
  of times -- done by the normal scroll action of that thumbwheel

> I am also unable to get a listing of RAOB stations when pulling data
> from cyclone,

OK.  I would test this from here, but I have not been allowed to access
the ADDE server on cyclone.  I was, however, able to verify that I can
get a valid listing of stations running the same command that is run by the
MCGUI while logged onto cyclone as 'mcidas'.  I am, therefore, uncertain
by what could be causing you to not be able to get a listing of stations.

> and only select listing from the UCAR server (and
> sometimes nothing at all.)

This is very weird.  Does the list of times for the upper air data look like:

00:00:00 - 00:00:00 UTC
03:00:00 - 03:00:00 UTC
06:00:00 - 06:00:00 UTC
09:00:00 - 09:00:00 UTC
12:00:00 - 12:00:00 UTC
15:00:00 - 15:00:00 UTC
18:00:00 - 18:00:00 UTC
21:00:00 - 21:00:00 UTC

If no, that is the problem.  If yes, I would assume that you are attempting to
plot
soundings during an "off" hour (i.e., someting other than 0 and 12 UTC).  The
thing to look for is the Sounding time: that is listed.  If it is 3, 6, 9, 15,
18, or 21 UTC, then there will be very few soundings available.  In this case,
you
need to click on the time dropdown and select either 0 or 12 UTC when the
majority
of soundings are available.

> The students are accessing McIDAS via a virtual network server and
> running WRQ Reflections-X as the display interface.

Interesting.  This should have nothing to do with what you are seeing.

> Suggestions?

I think that the problem with the times for surface data is that the scrollbar
is not being shown.  Again, you can scroll the list even though the scrollbar
is missing.

The problem with the upper air plots sounds like you/your students are trying
to plot soundings at times other than 0 or 12 UTC.  In this case you/they need
to select a different time so you can see a list of the stations that were
decoded
by the ADDE server you are pointing to.

> Thanks in advance.

Please let me know if the above was clear enough.  If not, it might be faster to
talk about this in a phone call.  My office number is 303.497.8642.  My home
number
(since I work at home most mornings) is 303.258.0906.

Ticket ID: HFW-219253
Department: Support McIDAS