20051122: access to Unidata McIDAS

>From: indri <address@hidden>

Hi Mario,

First, let me apologize for taking so long to respond to your inquiry
before!

re:
>I,m a private user of meteosat-8 data from eumetcast ( maybe you heard
>about it )

Yes, we are well aware of MSG (METEOSAT-8) and EUMETCAST :-)

>in The Netherlands.
> I use the data for private en education only.

For personal use?

>I was wondering if you can also download the Mcidas software if you are
>a private-user. Of course after registration.

We typically provide McIDAS to educational institutions only, not to
individuals.  Our license with the originators of McIDAS (the Space
Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) at the University of Wisconsin at
Madison) does not allow us to make the package freely available.  This
restriction can be waived under certain circumstances (like for people
doing research that will lead to a degree, etc.).  Can you explain your
intended use some more?

> It seems possibly to decode the meteosat-8 data with this software.

The MSG data broadcast in EUMETCAST is wavelet compressed.  This format
is not directly supported by McIDAS.  If one uncompresses the data,
however, McIDAS can be used to analyze the imagery.

What kind of machine (operating system) were you interested in using
McIDAS on?  While there is a binary distribution available for Windows,
it requires two other packages:

Microsoft Services for Unix
X Window package

Unidata McIDAS (the version from SSEC with Unidata additions
modifications and bugfixes) is typically used on Unix/Linux/FreeBSD
machines.

>Regards,
>Mario

Again, I apologize for the very tardy reply!

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas