20051221: UNALMED connection to IDD

>From: Ricardo Mantilla <address@hidden>

Hi Ricardo,

>I am in Colombia.  We spend the las two days installing the server that
>will be the first ldm node here.  We succesfully installed McIDAS and the
>ldm server and I am writing to request access to the upstream ldm nodes.

Excellent news!

>Here is the info about our system and the people who will be involved with
>the system.
>
>Site Name:  Universidad Nacional de Colombia Sede Medellin
>           (National University of Colombia at Medellin)
>Administrators:        Olver Hernandez
>               address@hidden
>               Jesus David Gomez
>               address@hidden
>               Phone: (574)4255127
>               Ricardo Mantilla
>               address@hidden
>
>Hostname:      poseidon.unalmed.edu.co
>               200.24.8.43

OK, thanks for the information.

>I will finish the configuration ofthe ldm node as soon as I hear back from
>you.

We have added allows for this machine to request data from the toplevel
IDD relay node we maintain here at the UPC, idd.unidata.ucar.edu.
Please verify that you can get data from idd.unidata.ucar.edu using
the LDM 'notify' utility:

<as 'ldm' on poseidon>
notifyme -vxl- -f WMO -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

If this does not work, it could indicate that there is no reverse DNS
lookup for your machine.  I suspect that this is _not_ the case because
of the following 'nslookup' tests:

<on idd.unidata.ucar.edu as 'ldm'>
nslookup poseidon.unalmed.edu.co

Server:         128.117.140.62
Address:        128.117.140.62#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   poseidon.unalmed.edu.co
Address: 200.24.8.43

nslookup 200.24.8.43
Server:         128.117.140.62
Address:        128.117.140.62#53

Non-authoritative answer:
43.8.24.200.in-addr.arpa        name = poseidon.unalmed.edu.co.

8.24.200.in-addr.arpa   nameserver = perseus.unalmed.edu.co.
perseus.unalmed.edu.co  internet address = 200.24.8.4

The other reason that a feed request might not work is a firewall
at UNALMED is not permitting access through port 388.

If the 'notifyme' works, then you are set to request any/all
non-restricted data available in the IDD.  To remind you, the
restricted feeds are currently:

NLDN   - NLDN lightning data from SUNY Albany
GEM    - model data from the Canadian Meteorological Center (CMC)
PCWS   - ACARS data from NOAA/GDS (formerly known as FSL)
WSI    - NEXRAD Level III radar composites from WSI Corporation
NOGAPS - model output from FNMOC

>Thanks a lot,

No worries.