20051216: MCIDAS: v2005 Install Problems

>From: "Michael Keables" <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

>Hi, Tom. I finally found some time to install McIDAS 2005 (yeah, I
>know...)

:-)

>but am running into installation problems. I've downloaded the
>files, modified the shell as specified, upacked the files, but am
>getting anumber of netcdf install warnings and a failure when trying to
>install netcdffunc.c.

Hmm...

>Would you please take a look at cyclone and help me get the
>installation back on track?

OK, no problem.  Here is what I found and changed on cyclone:

- edited ~mcidas/.cshrc and removed the define for CXX; McIDAS
  does not use the netCDF C++ interfaces, so it is best to not
  attempt to build them

- commented out the McIDAS defines in .cshrc above the new 'if' clause
  you added as per v2005 instructions.

- modified the 'whoami' invocation for interactive session at the
  very top of .cshrc.  This had _nothing_ to do with the failed
  McIDAS build, but it was annoying to see 'whoami not found' upon
  logging in to cyclone as 'mcidas' :-)

Afte the .cshrc modifications, I logged off and then logged back
on.  I restarted the McIDAS build from scratch as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2005/src
make clobber
make all

I am currently waiting as the build progresses.  I will send
off this note if the build goes as it should.

A little later...  the netCDF portion of the build just finished, so I
am now confident that the problem you reported above was being caused
by the definition of the CXX environment variable.  McIDAS does not use
the C++ access to netCDF, so its build during the overall McIDAS build
is never tested.

Still later... the v2005b build finished with no problems.  Since I
was already logged on, I went ahead and finished the v2005 installation
and configuration:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop             <- it appears to have died earlier; this cleans up
                             some stuff

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2005/src
make install.all          <- installs v2005b over existing v2003 installation

cd ~mcidas/workdata
rehash                    <- C-shell nonesense

mcxconfig                 <- new script that leads one through the McIDAS-X
                             configuration

xcdconfig                 <- new script that leads one through the McIDAS-XCD
                             configuration

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin start

After starting the LDM and verifying that McIDAS-XCD decoders were running
I noticed that your LDM installation is very old.  I upgraded you to
the latest LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.4.4.tar.Z
  quit

zcat ldm-6.4.4.tar.Z | tar xvf -

cd ldm-6.4.4/src
./configure --disable-max-size    <- newer versions of LDM build in support
                                     for LDM queues > 2 GB; you don't need
                                     this, and since the LDM is built using
                                     gcc on cyclone (historic? I vaguely
                                     remember that we needed to use gcc on
                                     your system for some reason), and since
                                     gcc can not (yet) be used to build
                                     support for large LDM queues, I included
                                     the '--disable-max-size' flag to configure.

make
make install
make install_setuids              <- one step as 'root'

cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop

rm runtime
ln -s ldm-6.4.4 runtime

-- check contents of new LDM configuration file ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf; no
   changes to make.  LDM queue size is 400 MB

ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue

-- took a look at your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file:

   - commented out ingest of HDS data since I don't think you are doing
     anything with it
   - changed MCIDAS to UNIWISC (name change even though MCIDAS still works
     for the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream)
   - changed the name of the machine you ingest NLDN lightning data from
     (striker -> striker2; the name change was made quite some time ago
     at SUNY Albany)
   - commented out 'exec pqbinstats' as it is no longer needed/used

- took a look at ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.  Changed MCIDAS to UNIWISC in any
  MCIDAS/UNIWISC action that wasn't commented.

ldmadmin start

rm -rf ldm-6.0.11                 <- house keeping cleanup

setenv EDITOR vi
crontab -e                        <- comment out 'bin/ldmadmin dostats' as
                                     it is no longer needed/used.

Things looked like they were working OK, so I logged off.  Please let
me know if you see anything amiss.

>Mega-thanks in advance.

No worries.  I hope that things are going well for you...

--
Michael Keables, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair