[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

20051216: MCIDAS: v2005 Install Problems



>From: "Michael Keables" <address@hidden>
>Organization: DU
>Keywords: 200512162244.jBGMij7s027986 McIDAS-X/XCD v2005b build

Hi Mike,

>Hi, Tom. I finally found some time to install McIDAS 2005 (yeah, I
>know...)

:-)

>but am running into installation problems. I've downloaded the
>files, modified the shell as specified, upacked the files, but am
>getting anumber of netcdf install warnings and a failure when trying to
>install netcdffunc.c.

Hmm...

>Would you please take a look at cyclone and help me get the
>installation back on track?

OK, no problem.  Here is what I found and changed on cyclone:

- edited ~mcidas/.cshrc and removed the define for CXX; McIDAS
  does not use the netCDF C++ interfaces, so it is best to not
  attempt to build them

- commented out the McIDAS defines in .cshrc above the new 'if' clause
  you added as per v2005 instructions.

- modified the 'whoami' invocation for interactive session at the
  very top of .cshrc.  This had _nothing_ to do with the failed
  McIDAS build, but it was annoying to see 'whoami not found' upon
  logging in to cyclone as 'mcidas' :-)

Afte the .cshrc modifications, I logged off and then logged back
on.  I restarted the McIDAS build from scratch as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2005/src
make clobber
make all

I am currently waiting as the build progresses.  I will send
off this note if the build goes as it should.

A little later...  the netCDF portion of the build just finished, so I
am now confident that the problem you reported above was being caused
by the definition of the CXX environment variable.  McIDAS does not use
the C++ access to netCDF, so its build during the overall McIDAS build
is never tested.

Still later... the v2005b build finished with no problems.  Since I
was already logged on, I went ahead and finished the v2005 installation
and configuration:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop             <- it appears to have died earlier; this cleans up
                             some stuff

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2005/src
make install.all          <- installs v2005b over existing v2003 installation

cd ~mcidas/workdata
rehash                    <- C-shell nonesense

mcxconfig                 <- new script that leads one through the McIDAS-X
                             configuration

xcdconfig                 <- new script that leads one through the McIDAS-XCD
                             configuration


<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin start

After starting the LDM and verifying that McIDAS-XCD decoders were running
I noticed that your LDM installation is very old.  I upgraded you to
the latest LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.4.4.tar.Z
  quit

zcat ldm-6.4.4.tar.Z | tar xvf -

cd ldm-6.4.4/src
./configure --disable-max-size    <- newer versions of LDM build in support
                                     for LDM queues > 2 GB; you don't need
                                     this, and since the LDM is built using
                                     gcc on cyclone (historic? I vaguely
                                     remember that we needed to use gcc on
                                     your system for some reason), and since
                                     gcc can not (yet) be used to build
                                     support for large LDM queues, I included
                                     the '--disable-max-size' flag to configure.

make
make install
make install_setuids              <- one step as 'root'

cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop

rm runtime
ln -s ldm-6.4.4 runtime

-- check contents of new LDM configuration file ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf; no
   changes to make.  LDM queue size is 400 MB

ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue

-- took a look at your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file:

   - commented out ingest of HDS data since I don't think you are doing
     anything with it
   - changed MCIDAS to UNIWISC (name change even though MCIDAS still works
     for the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream)
   - changed the name of the machine you ingest NLDN lightning data from
     (striker -> striker2; the name change was made quite some time ago
     at SUNY Albany)
   - commented out 'exec pqbinstats' as it is no longer needed/used

- took a look at ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.  Changed MCIDAS to UNIWISC in any
  MCIDAS/UNIWISC action that wasn't commented.

ldmadmin start

rm -rf ldm-6.0.11                 <- house keeping cleanup

setenv EDITOR vi
crontab -e                        <- comment out 'bin/ldmadmin dostats' as
                                     it is no longer needed/used.

Things looked like they were working OK, so I logged off.  Please let
me know if you see anything amiss.

>Mega-thanks in advance.

No worries.  I hope that things are going well for you...

Cheers,

Tom
--
NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available
through the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made
available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.

>From address@hidden  Mon Dec 19 07:51:21 2005

>Thanks, Tom! You definitely ROCK!!

>Happy holidays,

>Mike

--
Michael Keables, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Geography
University of Denver
Denver, CO 80208
Tel: 303-871-2866
Fax: 303-871-2201

NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the web. If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.