20051214: Public ADDE server stratus.al.noaa.gov (cont.)

>From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>

Hi Hsie,

re:
>In the old inetd.conf file in old stratus, I have:
>
>#
># McIDAS data server
>mcidas         stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde
>/home/mcidas/solaris/bin/mcservsh mcservsh -H /home/mcidas
>mcserv         stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde
>/home/mcidas/solaris/bin/mcservsh mcservsh -H /home/mcidas
>mccompress     stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde
>/home/mcidas/solaris/bin/mcservsh mcservsh -H /home/mcidas
>
>and it worked fine in the past.  What argumet should be behind -H: home
>directory of mcidas OR install directory of mcidas?

It should be the directory in which the remote ADDE shell configuration
file .mcenv exists.  A typical installation of McIDAS is in /home/mcidas.
You have changed yours to /home/mcidas/<os>.  Your .mcenv file that
is pertinent to the Solaris McIDAS stuff is /home/mcidas/solaris.
The inetd.conf values for the '-H' flag should, therefore, be
/home/mcidas/solaris.  In saying this, I am assuming that you do
not want to put .mcenv in /home/mcidas since the setup you created
allows for code etc. to exist in an OS-specific subdirectory of
/home/mcidas.

>stratus:[52]% whoami
>mcidas
>stratus:[53]% dataloc.k LIST
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>AMRC                         UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>BLIZZARD                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>CIMSS                        STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>GINICOMP                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>GINIEAST                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>GINIWEST                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>GOESEAST                     UNIDATA2.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
>MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
>NEXRCOMP                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>PUB                          GP16.SSD.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV
>RTGRIDS                      STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>RTIMAGES                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>RTNEXRAD                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>RTPTSRC                      STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>RTWXTEXT                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>TOPO                         STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
>
><LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
>directory.DATALOC -- done

Yes.  This reflects the changes I made about an hour ago.

re: changes to /etc/hosts.allow

>stratus:[54]% cat /etc/hosts.allow
>ALL: localhost, 140.172.240.150
>ALL: 140.172.240.0/255.255.252.0
>mcidas mcservsh: ALL : severity local3.info : allow
>mcserv mcservsh: ALL : severity local3.info : allow
>mccompress mcservsh: ALL : severity local3.info : allow

Super!  I am now able to access the remote ADDE server on stratus
from my home machine.  Thanks for the quick help!!

>Thanks!

Thank you!