20051101: McIDAS-X v2005 on FreeBSD 5.4 (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Brendon,

re: building Unidata McIDAS-X/XCD on FreeBSD 5.4

I logged onto the Plymouth FreeBSD 5.4 machine and investigated building
Unidata McIDAS-X v2005 there.  Here is what I had to do to get things
to build:

1) modify the ~mcidas/mcidas2005/hdf/configure script.  I added
   the location of 'cpp' (/usr/bin/cpp) in two places after /lib/cpp.
   This is fixed the failure you reported originally.

   BTW, I don't yet know the best way to handle this situation since I
   don't know if the installation of cpp in /usr/bin under FreeBSD 5.4
   is correct.  It could well be that a new release of HDF 4.2 has
   support for the different location of 'cpp'.

2) change one McIDAS entry point name so it does not conflict with
   a routine included in FreeBSD 5.4.  The routine in question is
   'eaccess'.  I changed its name and all references to it to mceaccess.

   This may be a change I can get implemented in McIDAS core.

3) the system routine 'expr' was changed in FreeBSD 5.4.  The man
   page discusses its new behavior and tells how to make it run in a
   FreeBSD 4 compatibility mode:  define the environment variable
   EXPR_COMPAT:

   setenv EXPR_COMPAT 1

   After doing this, McIDAS shell scripts that use 'expr' work
   correctly.

   I have put this environment variable definition in mcidas'
   .cshrc for future use.

4) like some of its Linux counterparts, your FreeBSD machine failed
   to put an entry point in a library that was being built.  I don't
   understand the cause for this failure, but am guessing that it is a
   result of fast CPUs and a failure to properly flush things cached in
   memory before they are used during a link.  The solution was simple
   in your case:

   ar r libmcidas.a nowrutil.o
   ranlib libmcidas.a

After making the 4 changes above, I was able to build both McIDAS-X and
McIDAS-XCD without error.  I finished the installation with:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2005/src
make install.all

Still left to be done are configuring McIDAS, ADDE, and XCD (if you are
going to be decoding data using the McIDAS-XCD decoders) and testing
to make sure that everything works correctly.