20051024: problem getting nexrad station list from adde.ucar.edu and papagayo (cont.)

>From: Don Murray <address@hidden>

Hi Don,

>I'm running McIDAS-X 2005 050704 on chico.  When I run this,
>I get:
>
>IMGLIST RTNEXRAD/N1P ID=LIST
>Image file directory listing for:RTNEXRAD/N1P
>IMGLIST: No images meet the selection criteria
>IMGLIST: done
>
>My DATALOC is:
>
>DATALOC LIST RTNEXRAD
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>RTNEXRAD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>
><LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
>directory.
>
>DATALOC -- done

Hmm...  Please check to see what IP address is associated with
adde.ucar.edu on chico:

SEE ADDESITE.TXT
 -- or --
SEE MCTABLE.TXT

If your listing shows that adde.ucar.edu has an IP of 128.117.15.119,
then run:

DATALOC HOST

and check again.  Also, please check to see if you have both
ADDESITE.TXT and MCTABLE.TXT.  If you do, check MCTABLE_WRITE to see
which one gets updated by DATALOC invocations.  It could be that you
have an entry in MCTABLE.TXT that is being used even though
ADDESITE.TXT is being updated by DATALOCs.

The name change for newmotherlode on Friday was _supposed_ to leave
adde.ucar.edu as 128.117.15.119, but it apparently didn't.  Here  is
the results of the above 'SEE' on my home development machine:

HOST_ADDE.UCAR.EDU=128.117.114.119

I am wondering if the name switch is playing havoc on machines that
still have DATALOCs pointing at adde.ucar.edu/128.117.15.119.

re: no listing from papagayo
>That's what I get back from adde.ucar.edu as well.

Weird given that I get back the expected list from another machine
running 2005.

Update:  I just logged onto papagayo and saw that Clint had changed
where non-N0R Level III products were being filed.  I just updated his
ADDE configuration and now get a valid listing for N1P:

DATALOC LIST RTNEXRAD

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTNEXRAD                     PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

IMGLIST RTNEXRAD/N1P ID=LIST
Image file directory listing for:RTNEXRAD/N1P
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:19:00     FSD    5
   2  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:20:00     TWX    5
   3  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:20:00     OAX    5
   4  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:23:00     LNX    5
   5  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:25:00     CYS    5
   6  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:27:00     UEX    5
   7  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:29:00     GLD    5
   8  RADAR         24 OCT 05297  15:30:00     MRX    5
IMGLIST: done

NB: Clint is only saving N0R products for every station.  For all
others he has the short list of sites shown above.

re: could it be the compression being used
>I've tried it as compressed, gzip and no compression through
>Java.  I started up mcidas using mcidas -config and have
>tried it with GZIP and none, all with the same results.
>BTW, isn't there a global keyword in McIDAS to change
>the compression on the fly?  If so, what is it and how can
>I get a list of global keywords?

Yes, the global keyword to use is MCCompress (MCC= for short).

>Any other ideas?

Please try papagayo again from chico.  If that works, please check the
IP address being used for adde.ucar.edu on chico.  I suspect that may
be the problem area.  When I get in (leaving shortly), we can turn
debugging on so we can see what is happening on motherlode.

>From address@hidden  Mon Oct 24 10:33:23 2005

re: cached IP address
>ADDESITE.TXT has 128.117.15.119.  MCTABLE.TXT has 128.117.114.119.

re: I am wondering if the name switch is playing havoc on machines that
still have DATALOCs pointing at adde.ucar.edu/128.117.15.119.

>But that shouldn't matter through the Java interface.  I get the
>same results on chico and madeline.

re: Level III product directories moved on papagayo; reconfigured
>Okay.  I can get the listing now.  In the IDV, we just get the
>listing of the stations for the first dataset in the list.

re: global keyword to use is MCCompress (MCC= for short).

Thanks.

Don

PostScript:

The problem turned out to be a configuration error on adde.ucar.edu.
The replaceable token '\DATE' in RESOLV.SRV should have been replaced
with '\CURDAY'.  Once this was done, everything works from UPC
machines.

The question remains why a listing from my home machine worked without
error?

Tom