20050810: MCIDAS-X build on Linux (cont.)

>From: "V.S. Prasad" <address@hidden>

Hi Prasad,

>Thank you very much for your advise. I installed  x
>window development applications and able to make all the files
>successfully.

Very good.

>But this time I am failing in testing phase of the
>build. I am using "BASH Shell" on my mechine.
>         The  problem may be in defing the Display. I am not clear
>with the name of  X window display server on my mechine.
>
>             when I am runung mcidasx, I am getting the following error:
>"WARNING: only run as the user 'mcidas' for supervisory tasks Running
>McIDAS configuration GUI...
>mcwish: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot open
>shared ob ject file: No such file or directory"
>    Please help me in overcoming this step.

Since this is a first time installation for you, you should skip the
testing step and continue with the installation.  The testing step
assumes that you have a previous version of McIDAS which, in turn, will
imply that needed Tcl/Tk libraries have already been installed.

The procedure to follow at this point is:

- reset McIDAS environment variables:

logoff and log back on as 'mcidas'

- finish the installation:

cd mcidas2005/src
make install
  -- or --
make install.all     <- if you built McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD

After you have fully installed McIDAS, you should be able to start
a McIDAS session using:

mcidas -config

Set the number of frames in your session to something greater than 16
and make sure to click on the radiobutton at the bottom of the startup
GUI that says to save the values in the defaults file.

When McIDAS is up and running, you can run through the simple test
procedures listed in the testing the build portion of the Users Guide
(without resetting the environment variables:

MAP NA
ERASE
PANEL 3 3
MAP USA PRO=MERC PAN=5
DSSERVE ADD TOPO/CONF AREA 9011 9011 "North America (Conformal)
IMGDISP TOPO/CONF 1 LINELE=0 0 MAG=-6 EU=TOPO PAN=9
MAP H PAN=9
ERASE I PAN=9
DSSERVE DEL TOPO/CONF
PANEL 1
EXIT

Assuming that all of these work without problem, your installation is
ready to use.  At that point you should work through the v2005 Training
Workshop materials to familiarize yourself with McIDAS.

>From address@hidden  Wed Aug 10 03:49:24 2005

Dear Sir,
                 Thank you very much for your co-operation. I am able
to manage it successfully.
I tested it also.

with regards
vsprasad