20050804: batch.k question

>From: "John Hobbie" <address@hidden>

Hi John,

>I have been installing the new version of mcidas on our systems here.  (By
>the way, that new script that configures everything is great!!!   Thanks)

It was about time!  I was reviewing the installation/configuration
documentation and decided that the configuration process were were
simple but many.  Given that most sites follow recommendations, it is
relatively easy to use a script to setup things for the user.  This
script approach is a work in progress; I learned some valuable lessons
during the McIDAS training workshop that I will use to improve the
script in the coming days.

>But at the end of the script it says to copy over batch.k to the
>~ldm/decoders folder. I did a _find_  on  batch.k  and found three
>copies: one in ~mcidas/bin, one in ~mcidas/workdata and one in the
>/src folder.

~mcidas/bin/batch.k is the "real" McIDAS BATCH executable.  It is
not the script that the configuration script is referring to.

I am not sure of what batch.k in your ~mcidas/workdata directory is.

~mcidas/mcidas2005/src/batch.k is the same binary executable that gets
installed in ~mcidas/bin.  It is not the batch.k script that the
configuration script refers to.

>The one in workdata is a text file, but the other two are binaries.  Which
>one should be copied to ~ldm/decoders?

Your question reflects on the "greeness" of my configuration script:
it lacks the smarts to see if there are copies of batch.k that exist
in the user's directories that would lead to confusion.

I would assume that the copy of batch.k in your ~mcidas/workdata directory
is the one you should copy to a directory in 'ldm's PATH.  If you are
upgrading McIDAS on a system that is already running ldm-mcidas decoding,
however, it is most likely that you already have a viable batch.k script
installed in a directory in 'ldm's PATH.

>And if it is to be a binary file, how do I create a new binary version
>after I modify the text file version in the workdata folder.  (I don't
>think I need to do that, but just asking.)

No, the copy of batch.k that needs to be installed in a directory in
'ldm's PATH is a Bourne shell script.  The ultimate source for this
script is the ldm-mcidas distribution of decoders for the IDD UNIWISC
(aka MCIDAS) datastream.

>Thanks in advance,

No worries.  Please keep the comments coming in so I can make the
McIDAS istallation scripts more robust!!!!