>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden> >Organization: UCAR/Unidata >Keywords: 200504201601.j3KG1gv2005753 McIDAS access Hi Mekonnen, I rebuilt McIDAS on sangres on Sunday after defining some needed environment variables in ~mcidas/.cshrc. The list of additional environment variables I defined is: setenv VENDOR -g77 setenv CC gcc setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran" setenv CFLAGS -O setenv FC g77 setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic" setenv CXX " " setenv F90 " " setenv LIBS -lm The first set minus VENDOR are ones that are listed in the Unidata McIDAS User's Guide section on configuring the 'mcidas' account before attempting a build: http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2004/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html VENDOR is a new environment variable I am moving to use actively in the v2005 distribution which will be released in July. The last define, LIBS, was _unexpectedly_ needed in the HDF portion of the build. I need to ponder that one more carefully before the next release. After doing the rebuild on Sunday, I am able to load the GOESIR composite image that you sent me (i.e., I do not get the message about the stretch table not being found on the server). The image displayed is, however, black. Further investigation shows that the image has some header words incorrectly set: lwu.k LIST globir.02182.0015 50 58 sagres% lwu.k LIST globir.02182.0015 50 58 50. 0 1447646034 HEX: 0 56495352 ASCII: VISR 52. 1112688980 2 HEX: 42524954 2 ASCII: BRIT 54. 3 0 HEX: 3 0 ASCII: 56. 1347568672 538976288 HEX: 50524420 20202020 ASCII: PRD 58. 1 0 HEX: 1 0 ASCII: --END OF LISTING (LWU is a McIDAS utility that is used for a variety of purposes one of which is to LIST out the contents of a file in decimal, hexidecimal, and ASCII.) The problem turns out to be the definition of words 56 ("PRD ") and 57 (" "). "PRD " in word 56 is supposed to mean that the image will contain a PRoduct Definition block later on in the header, and that PRoduct Definition block will define the "calibration" (mapping of brightnesses to a calibrated unit like Temperature for IR images) of the image. The problem is that there is no PRoduct Definition block in the image! The result of this is that loading the image with IMGDISP results in a blace display _unless_ "PRD " and " " are changed. I illustrated this by creating a GIF image of the load of globir.02182.0015: <while logged on as you> cd ~/mcidas/data mcenv -f address@hidden <- create a 1 frame session of 600 lines by 800 elements imglist.k GLOBIR/AREA.1 <- list out information on the image Image file directory listing for:GLOBIR/AREA Pos Satellite/ Date Time Center Band(s) sensor Lat Lon --- ------------- ------------ -------- ---- ---- ------------ 1 G-8 IMG 1 JUL 02182 00:15:00 5 110 4 imglist.k: done imgdisp.k GLOBIR/AREA.1 MAG=-4 <- load the image into the single frame Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 235140 IMGDISP: loaded frame 1 imgdisp.k: done map.k <- draw a map on the image MAP: Completed frame 1 frmsave.k 1 globir0015.gif <- save the display as a GIF raster If you look at globir0015.gif, you will see that it is totally black except for the map drawn using MAP (map.k). I found out that ~mek11/GOESdata contains a number of composites images, so I took the liberty of uncompressing the one for 00:45 on the same day as the first image and then copying it to ~mek11/GOESdatanew. The ADDE definition for GLOBIR allows both of these images to be viewed as part of the same dataset. I next verified that an IMGDISP of the 00:45 image was also black (following the same steps above, but specifying the load of GOESIR/AREA.2). Next, I used the LWU (lwu.k) utility to change the "PRD " and " " words in the header of the image in globir.02182.0045: redirect.k ADD globir.\* \"/disk/space/mek11/GOESdatanew dmap.k globir. PERM SIZE LAST CHANGED FILENAME DIRECTORY ---- --------- ------------ ----------------- --------- -rw- 3737128 May 18 16:53 globir.02182.0015 /disk/space/mek11/GOESdatanew -rw- 3737128 Jun 01 02:58 globir.02182.0045 /disk/space/mek11/GOESdatanew 7474256 bytes in 2 files lwu.k POKE globir.02182.0045 0 56 lwu.k POKE globir.02182.0045 0 57 After making these mods, I loaded the image, drew a map, and saved the raster as a GIF image: erase.k imgdisp.k GLOBIR/AREA.1 MAG=-4 map.k frmsave.k 1 globir0045.gif If you look at globir0045.gif, you will find that you can see the image data now, and that the image really is a composite from multiple satellites. So, it looks like you will need to modify the composite image's headers using LWU in the manner I outlined above in order to be able to use them. Please try unpacking another image and going through the steps I outlined above to convince yourself that things will work. After you have done this, we can revisit your ultimate goal of dumping out data values. By the way, if you follow the steps as I show then above, you will still be in the single frame McIDAS session. You exit that session by running: exit when you are done. Cheers, Tom -- NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the web. If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.
NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the web. If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.