20050420: building McIDAS (cont.)

>From: "Mekonnen Gebremichael" <address@hidden>

Hi Mekonnen,

>Thanks Tom Yoksas for your prompt and helpful reply. I will bother you until
>I get it right, so bear with me.

No worries.

>This is what I did:
>(1) I successfully downloaded the program,

Meaning 'mcinstall'...

>(2) I did chmod u+x *
>(3) I did this: setenv McINST_ROOT "/disk/space/mek11/bin"

McINST_ROOT should be set to the top level directory under which
McIDAS will be installed.  This directory is typically the $HOME
directory of the user 'mcidas', but it can be in other locations.
Given the name of the file system you want to do the installation
on (/disk/space/...), I am assuming that you do not have enough
space in ~mcidas do do the installation.  If I am following
your thinking correctly, I would recommend a setup more like:

<as 'mcidas'>
mkdir /disk/spack/mek11/mcidas
setenv McINST_ROOT /disk/spack/mek11/mcidas    <- C shell syntax

>(3) I typed this: ./mcinstall
>(4) I did this: cd /disk/space/mek11/mcidas/mcidas2004/src

This is what I had in mind by my comment in (3).  You set McINST_ROOT
to the bin subdirectory of /disk/space/mek11.

>(5) I did this: make all VENDOR=-g77

OK.

>I got the following error message
>
>sagres% make all VENDOR=-g77
>make: ERROR: no directory: /disk/space/mek11/mcidas/data
>make: If your environment is OK, try 'make rootdirs'
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `env_dir'
>
>QUESTION: (1) How can I fix this problem.

1) remove everything that was unpacked by 'mcinstall'
2) redefine McINST_ROOT to be /disk/space/mek11 or /disk/space/mek11/mcidas
   (after creating /disk/space/mek11/mcidas of course)
3) rerun 'mcinstall'

All 'mcinstall' does is unpack the distribution and create needed
output directories.  You can unpack the distribution 'by hand' if
you feel more comfortable doing that:

<as 'mcidas'>

setenv McINST_ROOT /disk/space/mek11
  -- or --
setenv McINST_ROOT /disk/space/mek11/mcidas

cd $McINST_ROOT

tar xvf - mcidasx2004.tar

cd mcidas2004/src
make rootdirs                <- just in case; does no harm if not needed

>FYI, the files I have under /disk/space/mek11/mcidas/ are
>sagres% ls
>MAY04INQ.TXT     MAY04PRG.TXT     mcidas2004       mcinet2004.sh
>MAY04OPN.TXT     WHATSNEW.2004    mcidasx2004.tar  mcinstall
>
>The shell I am using is cshell (cshrc)

OK.

>(2) Do I have to do this. setenv McINST_ROOT "/disk/space/mek11/bin"
>in my *.cshrc file, or does it have to be done only once while installing
>the software?

You should follow the directions in the Unidata McIDAS web pages that
describe what environment variables you need to define:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2004/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

If you want the absolute easiest installation possible, then I recommend:

- creating a user named 'mcidas'
- set the HOME directory for 'mcidas' to be /home/mcidas
- do the unpacking, building, installing, and configuring ther.

Following this recommendation, you will be able to follow all of the
instructions in the Unidata McIDAS web pages with no mental translation
to differences in your installation.

If there is not enough room in /home for the McIDAS installation, then
have your system administrator set the HOME directory for 'mcidas'
to be /disk/space/mek11/mcidas and then go from there.

>Thanks,

No worries.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas