20050315: McIDAS build error on Fedora Core 2 64-bit Linux (cont.)

>From: "Mark J. Laufersweiler" <address@hidden>

Hi Mari,

>Thanks Tom!

No worries.

>Seeing how it has been almost 6 years since I last worked with
>Mcidas, I have been getting the files off the website. I do not
>see the new distro there,

The web pages will not show a "new" tag on the McIDAS distribution files
since the links to the files remain the same (no new distribution number
like GEMPAK).  The files that you would download, on the other hand, will
be the new ones.

>and if I remeber, there is FTP account for mcidas.
>Am I correct?

Yes, there is an FTP account for McIDAS.

>And if so, how do I get in.

I included the access information in my previous email.  The FTP
account holdings are the exact same as what is available through the
web site, so you can get the distribution or update files either way.

>Again thanks for getting the fix.

No worries.  I had shelved looking at the problem in January, and did
not feel a pressing need to take a new look since nobody else had
reported the problem.  I guess that most folks running Linux are
still doing so on 32-bit systems.

By the way, I didn't mention it in my previous emails, but I STRONGLY
recommend that you upgrade from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 3.  We
found that there were HUGE performace enhancements in FC3.  We found
these improvements during IDD stress testing using a dual Opteron
machine running FC2.  The tests on that machine were poor since the
system seemed to "bind up" (add latencies that rapidly approached 1
hour) with not too many downstream connections.  FC3, on the other hand
won the comparative performance testing we ran on three identically
configured dual Opterman machines (Sun V20Z 1U rack mount units).  The
other partipants in the testing were Solaris x86 10 and FreeBSD 5.3.
FC3 was the _clear_ winner with FreeBSD 5.3 second and Solaris x86 10 a
_distant_ third.  Given the test results, we reloaded the FreeBSD and
x86 10 machines with FC3.  These are the data distribution engines
behind the IDD toplevel cluster, idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

re: McIDAS FTP access
    info ----+