20050307: McIDAS Bcakground Colors

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Hi Paul,

>Quick questions
>
>I am plottong out the mosaic radar images but wouldnlike a background
>color of white instead of black...but i cant figure out how to do that.

The colorization of imagery in McIDAS displays is controlled by the
ehancement associated with the frame.  You can change the mapping
of image levels to display colors using the EU (Ehancement Utility)
command.  The first thing to do is use EU to list ouf the table
of colors you are currently using:

EU LIST

Then figure out which colors you would like to change, and finally use
EU to change the range(s) of colors to get the display you like.
The form of the EU command you will be using to do this is:

EU MAKE inlo inhi bcolor ecolor bframe eframe <keywords>

Here is the online help for the EU command:

EU -- Enhancement utility
   EU COLORS
   EU DEL name
   EU LIST string
   EU MAKE inlo inhi bcolor ecolor bframe eframe <keywords>
   EU MAKE inlo inhi 1lo 1hi 2lo 2hi 3lo 3hi bframe eframe <keywords>
   EU REST name bframe eframe <keywords>
   EU SAVE name
   EU TABLE name <keywords>
Parameters:
   COLORS | lists the predefined colors in the MCRGB.TXT data file for
            use in the bcolor and ecolor parameters
   DEL | deletes a saved enhancement
   LIST | lists the saved enhancements
   MAKE | sets the enhancement
   REST | restores a saved enhancement (def)
   SAVE | saves the current enhancement
   TABLE | lists the values of an enhancement
   name | enhancement name; 512 characters maximum
          (REST option def=default grayscale enhancement;
          TABLE option def=current; no default for DEL and SAVE options)
   string | lists only the enhancements beginning with this character
           string (no default; list all enhancements)
   inlo | lowest brightness value of displayed image to apply the MAKE
          enhancement change to; the range is 0-255 (def=0); the resultant
          changes in color from inlo to inhi are done by interpolation
          from bcolor to ecolor or 1lo,2lo,3lo to 1hi,2hi,3hi
   inhi | highest brightness value of displayed image to apply the MAKE
          enhancement change to; the range is 0-255 (def=0)
  bcolor | predefined color to apply to inlo; use EU COLORS to list the
           valid colors
  ecolor | predefined color to apply to inhi (def=bcolor); use EU COLORS
           to list the valid colors
   1lo | intensity of first color component to apply to inlo
   1hi | intensity of first color component to apply to inhi
   2lo | intensity of second color component to apply to inlo
   2hi | intensity of second color component to apply to inhi
   3lo | intensity of third color component to apply to inlo
   3hi | intensity of third color component to apply to inhi; the valid
         range for parameters 1lo,1hi,2lo,2hi,3lo,3hi is 0-255 and def=0;
         the first color component is either blue or red, the second color
         component is green, the third color component is either red or
         blue; see Remarks for explanation
   bframe | beginning image frame on which to apply enhancement
            (def=current)
   eframe | ending image frame on which to apply enhancement (def=bframe)
              the bframe and eframe values (def=NO)
   RGB=YES | changes the order of the color components from the default
             (blue-green-red) to red-green-blue in the MAKE option's
             1lo,1hi,2lo,2hi,3lo,3hi input parameters and the TABLE
             option's output listing (def=NO)
Remarks:
   Parameters 1lo, 2lo, 3lo and 1hi, 2hi, 3hi are the intensities (0-255)
   of the three color components that make up the final color applied to
   the inlo and inhi input brightness values. The RGB keyword determines
   the order in which the three color components are specified:
     - If RGB=YES is specified, then the color order is red, green, blue
       (1lo and 1hi are RED intensities, 2lo and 2hi are GREEN
       intensities, and 3lo and 3hi are BLUE intensities).
     - If RGB=NO (the default), then the color order is blue, green, red
       (1lo and 1hi are BLUE intensities, 2lo and 2hi are GREEN
       intensities, and lo and 3hi are RED intensities).

   Use command EB for interactive, mouse-controlled contrast stretching.
----------

>Also, on the WWDISP i am trying only the watches...but there is a label
>that says warnings...anyway to get rid of that?

It seems like you should be able to specify just the displays you
want using the TYPE= keyword of WWDISP:

   TYPe=t1..tn | bulletin type(s) to plot; you cannot use TYPE with the
                 WATCH keyword; valid TYPEs are SEVWARN,SEVWATCH,TORWARN,
                 TORWATCH,WINWARN,WINWATCH,BLIZZARD,SNOWADV,FLOODWARN,
                 FLOODWATCH,ALL (def=ALL),
                 where:
                    SEVWARN, SEVWATCH=severe thunderstorm warnings, watches
                    TORWARN, TORWATCH=tornado warnings, watches
                    WINWARN, WINWATCH=winter storm warnings, watches
                    BLIZZARD=blizzard warnings, SNOWADV=snow advisories
                    FLOODWARN, FLOODWATCH=flood/flash flood warnings, watches
                    ALL=all of the above

I am not at a workstation where I can actually test to make sure that
the labeling is left off for displays you don't want (current home
machine is windows, argh!) , but it seems like you should be able to
include something like:

WWDISP TYPE=SEVWATCH TORWATCH WINWATCH FLOODWATCH

Have you tried this?