20050214: GeoTIFF output from McIDAS ADDE server (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Hi Ying,

>the server is 129.174.124.79
>thank you very much and please let me know what's wrong with my settings

I logged on tonight and found the following:

1) the user 'mcadde' was not setup as it should be:

   - same HOME directory as the user 'mcidas'
   - not a login account

   I corrected the definitions for 'mcadde' using 'vipw' as 'root'.

2) the Bourne shell script that installs the ADDE remote server,
   mcinet2004.sh, was missing from /home/mcidas.  I FTPed it from
   unidata.

3) the remote ADDE server was setup for 'mcadde' as it had been defined
   before my change to 'mcadde', so it was incorrect.  I uninstalled and
   then reinstalled the remote ADDE server:

<as 'root'>
cd /home/mcidas
sh ./mcinet2004.sh uninstall mcadde
sh ./mcinet2004.sh install mcadde

4) there were no DATALOCs defined in the 'ldm' account.  After getting
   the ADDE remote server to work (step 3), the next step is to go through
   the remote server for access to the RTIMAGES dataset:

<as 'ldm'>

setenv MCPATH /usr/local/ldm/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
setenv MCTABLE_READ
/usr/local/ldm/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
setenv MCTABLE_WRITE /usr/local/ldm/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT

cd ~ldm/mcidas/data
dataloc.k ADD RTIMAGES unidata.scs.gmu.edu

   After doing this, 'ldm' can see the RTIMAGES images through the remote
   ADDE server:

dsinfo.k IMAGE RTIMAGES

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ANTARCTIC    99999    Antarctic IR Composite
EDFLOATER-I  99999    Educational Floater
EDFLOATER-II 99999    Educational Floater II
GE-39        99999    GOES-East Hemispheric Short IR
GE-CO2       99999    GOES-East Hemispheric CO2
GE-IR        99999    GOES-East Hemispheric IR
GE-IRTOPO       10    GOES-East IR/TOPO Composite
GE-VIS       99999    GOES-East Hemispheric VIS
GE-VISTOPO      10    GOES-East VIS/TOPO Composite
GE-WV        99999    GOES-East Hemispheric H2O
GEW-IR          10    GOES-East/West IR Composite
GEW-IRTOPO      10    GOES-East/West IR/TOPO Composite
GEW-VIS         10    GOES-East/West VIS Composite
GEW-VISTOPO     10    GOES-East/West VIS/TOPO Composite
GEW-WV          10    GOES-East/West H2O Composite
GW-12        99999    GOES-West Western Long IR
GW-39        99999    GOES-West Western Short IR
GW-IR        99999    GOES-West Western US IR
GW-IRTOPO       10    GOES-West IR/TOPO Composite
GW-VIS       99999    GOES-West Western US VIS
GW-VISTOPO      10    GOES-West VIS/TOPO Composite
GW-WV        99999    GOES-West Western US H2O
MDR          99999    Manually Digitized Radar
MDRTOPO         10    MDR/TOPO Composite
MOLL-IR      99999    Mollweide Composite IR
MOLL-IRTOPO     10    Mollweide IR/TOPO Composite
MOLL-WV      99999    Mollweide Composite H2O
RESFLOATER   99999    Research Floater

DSINFO -- done

5) I note that you have a LOT of images in the RTIMAGES dataset:

imglist.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
2533  G-12 IMG      16 FEB 05047  00:45:00     0   72 4
imglist.k: done

   Do you want to be saving this many (2533) images, or have you not setup
   a mechanism to scour the images?

6) the script that you are running from ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf, ~ldm/mcrun.sh,
   is setup to write to the GEOTIFF dataset.  This dataset needs to be
   defined in the 'ldm' account.  You had previously defined it in the
   'mcidas' account where it could be used.  The same step was needed
   in the 'ldm' account:

dsserve.k ADD GEOTIFF/GOES GEOT 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE \"GeoTIFF GOES image

   I saw that you you had also defined a dataset with group name
   VISIMAGE in the 'mcidas' account.  I did the same in the 'ldm'
   account:

dsserve.k ADD VISIMAGE/GOES12 AREA 1 9999
DIRFILE=/var/data/ldm/gempak/images/sat/GOES-12/4km/VIS/VIS\* \"VIS images in
AREA file format

7) I saw that you had a typo in the pqact.conf action to run mcrun.sh:

# Convert UNWISC GOES-East VIsible images to GeoTIFF
MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q.(UV) (.*) (.*)_IMG (0.65)um (.*) (........) (....)
        EXEC    /usr/local/ldm/mcrun.sh

   The error was that there was no space between the 'Q.' and the (UV).
   I added the space.

8) I saw that even though you are requesting all of the UNIWISC
   (aka MCIDAS) images from atm.geo.nsf.gov, you were only processing
   the images that get received in the first half of the hour.  I
   changed all ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf entries that specified 'U1' in the
   pattern to 'U.'

   After making the changes to ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf in this and the
   previous step, I verified that I had not made any typos and
   then sent a HUP signal to pqact:

ldmadmin pqactcheck
ldmadmin pqactHUP

   The HUP signal tells pqact to reread its pattern action file,
   ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.

After making the above changes, I watched while a new GOES-East VIS
image was received by the LDM and converted to a GeoTIFF image by
the pqact.conf initiated EXEC of 'mcrun.sh'.

Now you need to add the appropriate code to ~ldm/mcrun.sh that renames
the newly created ~ldm/mcidas/data/GOES0001.tif file to something
that you like.

>From address@hidden  Tue Feb 15 19:40:25 2005

Thank you so much for your effort. Really really appreciate your help!

Ying