20050204: ADDE on local host only

>From:  "Valentijn Venus" <address@hidden>

Hi Valentijn,

>Added Meteosat-8 uncompressed segmented files succesfully using:
>
>DSSERVE ADD MSG/HRV MSGT TYPE=IMAGE DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/data/msg/* "High reso
> lution visible channel (band 12)
>
>this should make the dataset ADDE remotely accessible, and after doing a DATAL
> OC ADD MSG ADDE.ITC.NL, i confirmed this by doing in MGGUI:

Actually, the DSSERVE command simply defines the dataset in the login
for the user that ran the command.  For the dataset to be remotely accessible
you would have had to setup the ADDE remote server and setup the
enviornment in which remote server access runs to know about the
dataset.  I recommend that Unidata McIDAS users do this by:

- creating a user 'mcadde'

- putting 'mcadde' in the same group as 'mcidas'

- make the HOME directory for 'mcadde' the same as for 'mcidas'

- define all datasets to be accessed by 'mcidas' (e.g., the DSSERVE
  command that you ran abouve would be run while logged in as 'mcidas')

- have 'mcidas' create the file ~mcidas/.mcenv:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas
cp admin/mcadde_env.ksh .mcenv
chmod 664 .mcenv

<edit .mcenv and set environment variables to match your McIDAS setup;
this may not require any modifications if the HOME directory for
your 'mcidas' user is /home/mcidas)

- have 'root' setup the remote ADDE server:

<as 'root'>
cd ~mcidas
sh ./mcinet2004.sh install mcadde

- have 'root' make sure that that the remote ADDE server is accessible
  through ports 112, 500, and 503 (i.e., adjust firewall)

Now, if remote access through ports 112, 500, and 503 is open, and
if the dataset is setup correctly (i.e., setup so that 'mcidas' can
see/use the data as a LOCAL-DATA dataset), then users on other
systems should be able to see the data.  They would have to add
a DATALOCation for the dataset and machine name for this to work in
their McIDAS sessions.  For example, if your machine is 127.16.1.1,
the other users would add:

DATALOC ADD MSG 127.16.1.1

>IMGDISP MSG/HRV.2 1 BAND=12  LATLON=-71.805 -19.500 MAG=1 2
>
>on the local host with success.

OK, so the dataset is setup correctly for local access.   The next
step is configuring the remote ADDE access (as I outlined above).

>Now comes the funny part, i can only "see" this ADDE dataset when
>accessing it from the host machine, on anyother machine i get a
>"IMGDISP: Image data server unable to resolve this dataset: MSG/HRV"

What is the result of a:

DSINFO IMAGE MSG

This command will result in the reading of the ADDE server configuation
table ~mcidas/workdata/RESOLV.SRV.  If the dataset is defined in it,
and if 'mcidas' can see/use the data, then the remote access should
work.

>Rechecked all firewall settings on the local machines, and double-checked
>by doing a telnet on port 112, 500, and 503 with succes.

OK, good.  This shows that access is not blocked by your firewall.
It does not indicate, however, that the access will work.  Please
refer to comments about compressed data transfers below.

>Made sure that
>the ~mcidas directory is readable/writable by the user 'mcadde';

It only needs to be readable by 'mcadde'.  ~mcidas/data needs to be
readable and writable by 'mcadde.

>and that the user 'mcadde' is in the same group as 'mcidas'.

Very good.

>Also reinstalled ADDE with success, all 3 services are running.

I wouldn't think that it would be related to the installation of
the remote ADDE server, but a reinstall is quick and easy, so it
was a good thing to try.

>Here are some lines from ADDESITE.TXT
>
>HOST_127.16.1.1=127.16.1.1
>HOST_LOCALHOST=127.16.1.1
>

>HOST_ADDE.ITC.NL=127.16.1.1
>ADDE_ROUTE_MSG=ADDE.ITC.NL

I tried to access ADDE.ITC.NL with no success:

- first, adde.itc.nl is not resolved into an IP address

- second, after pointing at 127.16.1.1 a DSINFO just hung.  I assume
  that my access is blocked by a firewall

>here is the whole listing:
>ADDE_ROUTE_TOPO=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_CIMSS=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_NEXRCOMP=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTIMAGES=CYCLONE.GEOS.ULM.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTNEXRAD=LOCAL-DATA
>HOST_127.16.1.1=127.16.1.1
>HOST_LOCALHOST=127.16.1.1
>HOST_NANUK.EOSDIS.NASA.GOV=129.165.198.167
>HOST_UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.109.32
>ADDE_ROUTE_AMRC=UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_IO.SCA.UQAM.CA=132.208.133.165
>ADDE_ROUTE_ME7=IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
>HOST_ADDE.UCAR.EDU=128.117.15.119
>ADDE_ROUTE_BLIZZARD=ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_MYDATA=LOCAL-DATA
>ADDE_ROUTE_EASTL=EASTL.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_EASTS.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.45
>ADDE_ROUTE_EASTS=EASTS.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_WESTL.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.46
>ADDE_ROUTE_WESTL=WESTL.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_WESTS.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.47
>ADDE_ROUTE_WESTS=WESTS.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_GOESPAC.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.201
>ADDE_ROUTE_GOESPAC=GOESPAC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_EASTL.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.44
>ADDE_ROUTE_GVARNAV=EASTL.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_GILMORE.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.51
>ADDE_ROUTE_GILMORE=GILMORE.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_WALLOPS.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.50
>ADDE_ROUTE_WALLOPS=WALLOPS.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_POESNAV=NOAAPORT.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_FLYOVER.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.53
>ADDE_ROUTE_FLYOVER=FLYOVER.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_TERRA=AQUA.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_AQUA.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.110.165
>ADDE_ROUTE_AQUA=AQUA.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_MET.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.48
>ADDE_ROUTE_MET=MET.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_INDOEX.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.43
>ADDE_ROUTE_INDOEX=INDOEX.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_ADDE.ITC.NL=127.16.1.1
>ADDE_ROUTE_MSG=ADDE.ITC.NL
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTPTSRC=NOAAPORT.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTGRIDS=NOAAPORT.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>ADDE_ROUTE_RTWXTEXT=NOAAPORT.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>HOST_NOAAPORT.SSEC.WISC.EDU=128.104.108.49
>ADDE_ROUTE_NEXRAD=NOAAPORT.SSEC.WISC.EDU

Looks OK.

>i looked in the support archives for a similair support request and
>found one  posted by Adam Taylor (included below). I checked everything
>you advised him  also, and corrected amongst others .mcenv as follows:
>
># Bourne/Korn shell environment variable definitions for the user 'mcidas'
>
># umask
>umask 002
>
># MCHOME and McINST_ROOT
>MCHOME=/home/mcidas
>
># McIDAS environment variables
>MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
>MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help
>MCGUI=$MCHOME/bin
>MCTABLE_READ="$MCHOME/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>MCTABLE_WRITE="$MCHOME/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>
># Turn on ADDE logging
>ADDE_LOGGING=YES
>
># Define the PATH
>PATH=${MCGUI}:$PATH
>
># Export the environment variables above
>export MCPATH MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE ADDE_LOGGING PATH
>
># CD to the MCDATA directory
>cd $MCDATA
>

>I don't understand your last instructions on checking the .mcenv for
>the PATH to the compress application. You wrote:
>
><as 'mcidas'>
>create the .mcenv file in ~mcidas (as per web page instructions)
>make sure that the compress and uncompress applications can be found
>in the PATH in .mcenv (if using 'compress' compressed access; the
>current recommendation is to use 'gzip' compressed data transfers
>set by the end user defining MCCOMPRESS to be GZIP before running
>his/her McIDAS session)

This comment was written at a time when the only way to do compressed
data access was using 'compress' and 'uncompress'.  My comment to Adam
was intended to make sure that he had installed 'compress' and
'uncompress' on his machine.  The reason for this is that a default,
non-full installation of Linux will _not_ install 'compress' and
'uncompress'.  In the case where the client access request is calling
for a 'compress' compressed transfer, and no 'compress' is in the PATH
defined in ~mcidas/.mcenv, the request will fail in much the same way
that you indicate above.  McIDAS-X v2004, on the other hand, allows the
user to specify use of 'gzip' compression.  For this to work, the
client (user requesting the data) needs to define MCCOMPRESS to be
GZIP:

export MCCOMPRESS=GZIP

AND the server needs to be McIDAS-X v2004 so that it supports
gzip compressed transfers.

What is the setting of MCCOMPRESS for the user making the MSG data
request?  If the client's MCCOMPRESS is set (in any way that is not
blank or GZIP), then can 'compress' and 'uncompress' be found using the
PATH that is defined in ~mcidas/.mcenv?

>I feel i bit lost, having (double)checked almost everything. If i
>would make the machine publically accessible, could you have a look
>at it though remote management?

Yes, absolutely.  The first thing I would do is:

- turn off requests for compressed data transfers:

DATALOC ADD MSG 127.16.1.1
unset MCCOMPRESS
DSINFO IMAGE MSG

If this works, I would then check 'gzip' compressed transfers:

export MCCOMPRESS=GZIP
DSINFO IMAGE MSG

If this works, I would try 'compress' compressed transfers:

export MCCOMPRESS=TRUE
DSINFO IMAGE MSG

If the last step does not work, then the problem is that 'compress'
and 'uncompress' can not be found using the PATH specified in
~mcidas/.mcenv.

>I think it would make life much easier if you could setup a MSG
>server for testing purposes yourselve using the data i send you
>the other day.

I agree.  My only excuse is that my life over the past 3 months has
been hectic beyond belief. I apologize.

>When doing so mind to store the wavelet uncompressed files on a Windows
>NT share (NTFS).

Hmm...  How are you accessing the data, Samba?

>I think the time lag also playes a role caused by this
>since the segmented data files are symbolically linked to this
>"Windows share" and ther efore access is "slow".

An ADDE request can timeout.  The message you sent along does not,
however, indicate that this is what it is doing.

Once again, I apologize for the delay in answering your email.