20050207: publically accessible adde servers (cont.)

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Hi Randy,

re: accessing Unidata community servers
>I have set in my .cshrc file setenv MCCOMPRESS GZIP
>this has no effect.

OK.

>Interestingly, i can see the NANUK dataset located at
>nanuk.eosdis.nasa.gov as well a s VERN located at 128.104.108.218. I
>could see these datasets prior to setting the MC COMPRESS GZIP.

If setting the MCCOMPRESS environment variable to GZIP causes you to
not be able to access these sites, it means that their ADDE servers
have not been upgraded to the v2004 release, or that a firewall is
blocking access through port 112.  I seem to recall that
nanuk.eosdis.nasa.gov only allows uncompressed transfers.  I am not
familiar with VERN access.

>However, i can't see NEXRCOMP located at adde.ucar.edu or any other server on
>your list of publically accessible machines.

Have you tried unsetting MCCOMPRESS?  This will force uncompressed
transfers through port 500.

If you can not get access to adde.ucar.edu, atm.geo.nsf.gov,
papagayo.unl.edu no matter how your MCCOMPRESS variable is set, it
means that your site is probably not allowing access to those
machines.  I say this because I setup the ADDE servers on each of these
machines and ran lots of tests to verify that the server could be
access using uncompressed (port 500), 'compress' compressed (port 503),
and 'gzip' compressed (port 112) transfers from machines at the UPC and
in the Unidata community.  I just reverified access to all three of
these machines from a McIDAS session running at the Universidade
Federal do Rio de Janeiro.  This satisfies me that there is nothing
blocking access on at least these three machines.

So, I suggest contacting your network folks to see if they have
your access to the Unidata community server machines blocked.

>thanks,

No worries.