20050125: Unidata McIDAS-XCD Trouble (cont.)

>From: "James T. Brown" <address@hidden>

Jim,

I really should check the support inbox before hitting the send button...

re:
>>   accas% ptlist.k RTPTSRC/SFHOURLY
>>   ptlist.k: Point data server unable to resolve this dataset:
>> RTPTSRC/SFHOURLY
>>
>This command works now - looks like I was missing a ".mcenv" file.

Yup.

>The "imglist.k" command on LOCAL-DATA (TOPO/CONF) still only seems
>to work only by "mcidas" user and not regular users:
>
>-> As user "mcidas":
>
>    accas{mcidas} 1:% imglist.k TOPO/CONF
>    Image file directory listing for:TOPO/CONF
>     Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
>         sensor                                 Lat  Lon
>     --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
>       1  TOPOGRAPHY     1 JAN 96001  00:00:00    45  105 1
>    imglist.k: done
>

>-> As user "jtb":
>
>    accas{jtb} 1:% imglist.k TOPO/CONF
>    Image file directory listing for:TOPO/CONF
>    imglist.k: Image directory server unable to resolve this dataset:
>TOPO/CONF
>    imglist.k: done

Here's the deal.  If a dataset is LOCAL-DATA, the user must define
the dataset in his/her RESOLV.SRV file (by running DSSERVE commands
like those listed in DSSERVE.BAT, etc.).  My strong recommendation
is:

- the user 'mcidas' do all of the work to setup/define ADDE
  datasets

- have 'root' execute the mcinet2004.sh command to allow
  remote ADDE access to the machine in the 'mcidas' account (remember
  that the HOME directory for 'mcadde' should be the same as the user
  'mcidas')

- have the user "point" to the datasets through the remote ADDE interface
  on the machine.  Example as user 'jtb':

  DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC accas.geo.msu.edu
  DATALOC ADD TOPO accas.geo.msu.edu

  etc.

>I can access the "RTPTSRC" group - not real concerned about access the
>TOPO group which is defined as <LOCAL-DATA>.   Just a little strange.

I am betting that the datasets were not defined in the 'jtb' account.

>Since I disabled the LDM processing of the NOAAPort feed yesterday, the
>MDxx files have generated properly.  Surface plots and Meterograms are
>being generated now.  I haven't had a chance to test the regular
>expression yet which may allow me to turn the NOAAPort feed back on.
>Hopefully, I will get a chance to look at that tomorrow.

OK, sounds good.

>Looks like things are pretty close now.  Just wanted to send a quick
>update and will let you know how the change to the "pqact.conf" file
>works out later tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.

>Thanks!

No worries.